Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Union Urban Development Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu has announced the Cleanest Cities in the Country and the fastest moving cities on sanitation ladder under Swachh Sarvekshan-2017.
Indore has been adjudged as the cleanest city in India while Gonda in Uttar Pradesh has been ranked as the dirtiest city among surveyed.
In total, 434 cities and towns with a population of one lakh and above were surveyed.
2. The first AC 3-tier Humsafar Express between Ahmedabad and Chennai was flagged off by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu at a function held in Udvada town in Valsad district.
The Indian Railways have sought a major makeover for the AC 3-tier coach in a bid to make it more passenger-friendly.
3. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for National Steel Policy (NSP) 2017 to give impetus to the steel sector.
The Cabinet also approved important proposals relating to modifications in the 7th CPC (Central Pay Commission) recommendations on pay and pensionary benefits in the course of their implementation.
The benefit of the proposed modifications will be calculated with the effect from 1st January 2016.
4. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has given its approval for re-construction of SAMPADA (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters) for the period 2016-20.
The objective of SAMPADA is to supplement agriculture, modernize processing and decrease agri-waste.
5. The Union Cabinet has granted international airport status for the Vijayawada Airport.
The approval was given as per provisions of Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act, 2014.
6. Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra will be set up by Swachh Bharat Mission at Gandhi Smriti and Darshan Samiti (GSDS), Rajghat during the centenary year of Champaran Satyagraha.
To create awareness on Swachhata, Ministry of Culture has developed e-guide (Audio-Visual) App for the tourists visiting National Museum.
7. Union Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises has inaugurated a CSR Fair from 4th to 6th May, 2017 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
The objective of the fair is to provide a leading platform to corporate leaders, organizations, implementing agencies and business experts to identify practical solutions for the problems concerning the participatory implementation of CSR projects at the ground level.
8. The succulent Banaganapalle mango has got Geographical Indication (GI) registration from the Geographical Indications Registry.
The Andhra Pradesh government is the registered proprietor of the GI tag for mangoes.
9. Nitin Gadkari inaugurated two exhibitions 3rd to 5th of May 2017 in New Delhi.
The two-exhibition named: The Highway Saga: Past Present and Future’ and ‘Safe Road and Inter-State Highways Transforming India (SRISHTI).
The Highway Saga is an exhibition depicting the evolution of road transport in India.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The Union Cabinet gave ex-post facto approval to the signing the Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) with Japan on Railway Safety.
The MoC would provide a platform for Indian Railways to interact and share the latest development and knowledge in the railway sector.
The Key facts of MoC are: Track safety, Latest technology related to railway track safety, Rolling stock safety.
2. China plans to launch its own online encyclopedia next year rivalling Wikipedia and Britain’s Encyclopedia Britannica.
The main objective of this project is to guide public thought.
3. Indian actress Priyanka Chopra will be attending a UNICEF gala event in South Africa on 6th May 2017 to highlight the challenges faced by children affected by violence.
The event would also bring together some of the world’s biggest names in order to leverage their support to enhance the care and protection of children subjected to abuse, violence, neglect and exploitation.
4. Apple has reported over $256 billion in cash and marketable securities.
In the previous year, Apple’s earnings report for the January-March quarter was $233 billion.
5. World’s highest railway bridge which will be 35 metres taller than the Eiffel Tower is to come up over the Chenab River in Jammu and Kashmir at a cost of around Rs. 1,100 crore.
The bridge will connect Bakkal (Katra) and Kauri (Srinagar). The bridge will be a part of the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla rail link project.
After completion of the bridge it will surpass the record of the Beipan river Shuibai railway bridge (275 m) in China.
Sports & Athletics:
1. As per the updated FIFA world football rankings, the Indian national football has managed to secure a 100th spot in FIFA rankings.
This is the first time in 21 years that India has been ranked into top 100.
India has been placed 100th alongside Nicaragua, Lithuania and Estonia with a total of 331 points.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Child actor Sunny Pawar, best known for his performance in the Oscar-nominated film Lion, has been chosen for the Rising Star Award in UK.
The award will be presented to Sunny at the 7th Annual Asian Awards.
2. President Pranab Mukherjee presented away the 64th National Film Awards on 104th anniversary of Indian cinema held in New Delhi. Here is the list of Awards winners
|Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment||Sathamanam Bhavathi|
|Best Actor||Akhay Kumar (Rustom)|
|Best Actress||Surabhi Lakshmi (Minnaminungu)|
|Best Supporting Actress||Zaira Wasim (Dangal)|
|Best Male Playback Singer||Sundara Iyer (Joker)|
|Best Female Playback||Singer – Thume jaake|
|Best Music Direction||Babu Padmanabha (Kannada Lama)|
|Special Mention||Kadvi Hawa Mukthi bhava (Hindi)|
|Special Jury award||Mohanlal for Pulimurugan, Janatha Garage and Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol|
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Uber Technologies Inc. has started its food delivery service UberEATS in Mumbai.
The company has appointed Bhavik Rathod, earlier the general manager for south and west for Uber’s ride-hailing business, as the head of the food delivery vertical.
2. The Union Cabinet approved a new framework for dealing with Rs 6 lakh crore worth of non-performing assets (NPAs) in the banking system.
The framework seeks to amend the Banking Regulation Act to give more powers to Reserve Bank of India.
Science & Technology:
1. India has successfully carried out a fresh user trial of Agni-II ballistic missile from a defence test facility in the Abdul Kalam Island off the coast of Odisha.
The objective of the test was to re-establish the operational effectiveness of the weapon system.
2. China has beaten the world at building the first ever quantum computing machine that is 24,000 times faster than its international counterparts.
Quantum computers could, in principle, solve certain problems faster than classical computers.
1. International Firefighters’ Day (IFFD) is observed on 4th May every year.
It was instituted after proposal emailed out across the world on January 4, 1999 due to the deaths of five firefighters in tragic circumstances in a bushfire in Australia.
4th May used to be a traditional Firefighters’ Day in many European countries because it is the day of Saint Florian, patron saint of firefighters.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images