Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The much- awaited World Book Fair, the largest event of its kind in the country, is going to be held from January 7 to 15, at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
It was inaugurated by Union Minister of State (MoS) of Human Resources Development (Higher education) Mahendra Nath Pandey.
The theme of the fair would be Manushi focusing on writings on and by women.
Eminent Odia writer and Jnanpith awardee Pratibha Ray will be the guest of honor and Tomasz Kozlowski, Ambassador of Delegations of European Union to India will be he special guest of honor on the occasion.
2. Fourth Assam International Agri- Horti show has begun in Guwahati, Assam on 6 January.
State Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has inaugurated the show.
Assam Agriculture Minister Atul Bora informed that 10 foreign ministers are also taking part in the show.
3. The 14th Pravasi Bhartiya divas (PBD) convention will began on 7 January 2017 in Bengaluru.
The main convention will be inaugurated on 8th January by prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Pravasi Bhartiya Divas has been traditionally held on every year on 9 January to commemorate the return of Mahatma Gandhi as a pravasi from South Africa to India.
4. The Island Tourist Festival 2017 has begun at Port Blair, the capital of Andaman and Nicobar Island.
The 10- day mega event will see performances of the cultural troupes from mainland India.
This is to help the Islanders to renew their ties with the mainland.
The festival was inaugurated by the Lt. Governor Jagdish Mukhi at ITF ground.
5. The Centre has declared the Rs.1782 crore to drought hit Karnataka and Rs.209 crore to the people of Uttarakhand who had been affected by the floods in 2013.
The decision was taken in a meeting of High Level Committee chaired by Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
International – Across the Globe:
1. China has launched its longest bullet train ‘Shangri-La of the World’ connecting Kunming in Yunnan Province to Shanghai.
The route of 2252 km Shanghai- Kunming line links China’s prosperous east coast with the less developed south-western coast.
The speed of the Bullet train is 330 km/hr and the time it takes to travel this distance is 11 hours, which was 34 hours earlier.
2. Norway is set to become the first country in the world to switch off its FM radio network.
The shutdown of the radio will begin on January 11. 2017 from northern city of Bodoe.
3. According to Scientists, the giant iceberg is set to break away from Antarctica.
It will break because of the expansion of rift that was slowly developing across the Larsen c ice shelf in Antarctica Peninsula in the recent years.
It has been expanded abruptly by 18 km.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Small Industries Development Board of India (SIDBI) has tied up with the Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) to provide capital support to the enterprises in the country.
The idea behind tying up is to boost the venture capital ecosystems for MSMEs.
2. Axis bank has retained the top investment baking rank in the past 10 consecutive years, leaving behind large foreign banks.
HDFC and State Bank of India are other two top banks in the Bloomberg League table 2016.
3. According to growth projection released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO), India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth is expected to grow at a slower pace at 7.1% in 2016-17 as compared to 7.6% in 2015-16.
This estimate is in sync with the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) economic growth forecast and is largely based on the data from first seven months of the year.
1. Renowned Sitar player Abdul Halim Jaffer khan, the last survivor of his “Sitar Trinity”, died in Mumbai.
He was conferred with the Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Sangeet Natak Academy.
He belongs to the Indore Gharana and is credited with the unique music style of “Jafferkhani Baaj”.
He played the sitar for various Bollywood films including- Kohinoor, Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baaje, Goonj Uthi Shehnai and may others.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images