Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The 11th North East Business Summit (NEBS) has begun in New Delhi.
It is an initiative to facilitate investment, highlight strengths of the North-East Region (NER) and business opportunities which North-East has to offer.
The Summit will also showcase the untapped business potential of North-East to investors worldwide.
2. The Centre is all set to roll out a Rs. 2,700-crore welfare scheme in 100 smart cities to give rent vouchers to the urban poor.
The government would launch the new rental housing policy with the rent vouchers for below poverty line (BPL) families.
The scheme is expected to cost Rs. 2,713 crore every year to implement in smart cities.
3. The Union Government has decided to constitute a high-level committee to resolve the grievances and complaints of women sports persons.
The announcement was made at a conference on ‘Women and Sports in India’ in New Delhi. The few focus points of the conference are:
Creation of safe spaces for girls athletes and women coaches.
Inclusion of gender sensitisation modules in coach training modules.
4. The Minister of State of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Shri Anil Madhav Dave, launched the web portal for obtaining Coastal Regulation Zone clearances.
The portal allocates a unique identity for each proposal for all future references.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Family members of the Australians on board the fatal Malaysian Airlines’ flight MH370 gathered at St John’s Cathedral in Brisbane to mark the third anniversary of the tragedy on 8th March 2017.
The private ceremony was attended by around 100 people including Darren Chester and Angus Houston.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja have become the first pair of spinners to jointly share the top spot in the ICC Player rankings for Test Bowlers.
Dale Steyn and Muttiah Muralitharan in 2008 were the last bowling pair to be jointly top-ranked.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Indian Institute of Technology-Madras has won the 2017 IEEE Spectrum Technology in the Service of Society Award for its solar-direct current (DC) inverter system.
The system, developed using micro grid technology, converts in-home power distribution from 230V Analog Current to 48V DC to directly power appliances and devices.
2. President Pranab Mukherjee presented the Nari Shakti Puraskar 2016 at a ceremony in New Delhi on the occasion of International Women’s Day 2017.
Some of the awardees of this year are scientists Anatta Sonney, B Codanayaguy and Subhu Varier.
The Nari Shakti Puraskar carries a cash award of Rs.1 Lakh and a certificate for individuals and institutions.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) launched three technology services for the benefit of customers, FASTag, United Payments Interface (UPI), Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS).
2. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon issue new Rs.10 currency notes with enhanced security features, the old notes will still be valid.
RBI will shortly issue Rs.10 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi Series-2005 with inset letter ‘L’ in both the number panels, bearing the signature of Dr. Urjit R. Patel, and the year of printing ‘2017.
3. The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization extended the last date for submission of digital life certificate through Jeevan Pramaan Patra (JPP) up to 31st March 2017 under Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS).
Earlier the last date was 28th February 2017.
4. Delhi State Finance Minister, Manish Sisodia presented the State annual budget for the period 2017-18 in the state’s legislative assembly.
The budget has been proposed at 48000 crores, which is 16.5 per cent higher than the Revised Estimates of ₹41200 crores in 2016-17.
The Outcome Budget will be put up on the Delhi government’s website by 31st March 2017.
Science & Technology:
1. India will organize its first Mobile World Congress in September with a special focus on reaching out to the South East Asian markets.
There is Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and an edition in Shanghai.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Veteran journalist Arvind Padmanabhan, Executive Editor at IANS, died of cardiac arrest.
Padmanabhan, who would have turned 50 next month, breathed his last at the Holy Family Hospital.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images