Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Haryana government has decided to gather a detailed data of every resident and issue a sleek identity for every house in the state.
The objective is to get details of land holdings and status of facilities such as social security pension, scholarship, MGNREGA, loans and LPG connection.
The exercise is to be launched on 15th June 2017.
2. Maharashtra government imposed a ban on the sale of High in Fat, Salt and Sugar (HFSS) food at school canteens across the state.
A government Resolution issued gives a list of 12 categories of foods which cover potato chips, pizza, burger, noodles, carbonated soft drinks, cakes, biscuit, buns, pastries etc. which cannot be sold.
3. Supreme Court headed by Chief Justice J S Khehar has sentenced the Calcutta High Court judge, Justice C S Karnan to six months of imprisonment for repeated incidents of contempt of court.
The court has prohibited media, both print and electronic from publishing any further orders if any passed by Justice Karnan.
4. Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh carried out a review of the Left Wing Extremism (LWE) situation in the ten LWE affected States.
He explained about operational strategy ‘SAMADHAN’ to fight Left Wing Extremism.
5. The Ministry of Home Affairs has asked all the state governments to link prisons with courts through video conferencing.
The aim is to expedite trials and to save costs of escorting undertrials to courts.
6. The Supreme Court ordered initiation of criminal conspiracy charges against Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad in the Rs 900 crore fodder scam case.
Other accused of the case include Jagannath Mishra and ex-top bureaucrat Sajal Chakraborty.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India has been unanimously elected as the President of the UN-Habitat after 10 years.
M. Venkaiah Naidu will chair the four-day meeting of the 58-member Governing Council of UN-Habitat in Nairobi, Kenya.
Naidu will preside over the deliberations of the Governing Council of UN-Habitat for the next two years.
2. India and Japan has decided to strengthen their military cooperation and hopes to pursue a strategic partnership for ensuring regional peace and stability.
The Malabar trilateral exercise between Japan, the U.S. and India are slated to be held in the Bay of Bengal from 10th July 2017.
3. Jordan and United States make annual military exercises with the extensive troops to strengthen threats against terrorism.
It would include border security, cyber defence, and command and control exercises.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Olive Ridley turtles have been chosen as the Mascot for the 22nd Asian Athletics Championship.
The event is scheduled to be held at the Kalinga Stadium Odisha from 6th-9th July 2017.
Around 600 athletes including 20 world champions of 45 countries will participate at the international event.
2. Devender Singh becomes second Indian to be qualified for the World Championships in London.
He won the Indian Grand Prix first leg with a throw of 84.57m, meeting the qualifying mark of 83m.
Neeraj Chopra was the first Indian javelin thrower to qualify for the London Worlds.
3. BCCI announced the 15-man Indian squad which will take part in ICC Champions Trophy 2017 to be held in England. The Indian squad of ICC Champions Trophy 2017 includes:
Virat Kohli (Captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), Yuvraj Singh, Kedar Jadhav, Hardik Pandya, R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohammad Shami, Umesh Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Manish Pandey.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Hollywood actor Emma Watson picked up the first-ever Genderless Acting Award for the Best Actor category at the MTV Movie and TV Awards.
This is the first ever genderless award that doesn’t separate nominees based on their sex.
2. SS Rajamouli’s Baahubali 2: The Conclusion became the first Indian film to cross the RS 1000 crore mark with its worldwide collections.
The film has made over Rs 800 crore in India and more than Rs 200 crore in the international markets.
3. IIT Bombay professor, Vikram Vishal won the prestigious INSA Young Scientist Award 2017.
He was awarded for his research studies geologic sequestration or the capture of carbon dioxide released when coal is burnt, and injecting it back into the rock-deep underground.
4. Mukti Bhawan a movie about a man who accompanies his father on a journey to Varanasi, has won the Best Film at the New York Indian Film Festival (NYIFF).
The event was held in New York from 30th April -7th May.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Telecommunications services provider Bharti Airtel partnered with taxi app Ola Cabs to offer a range of exciting digital services to customers.
Both the companies will collaborate to deliver enhanced convenience for customers by leveraging the strengths of their respective portfolios.
2. Techmagnate, India’s leading Digital Marketing Agency acquired BlogX, India’s largest blog conference where bloggers and content managers connect.
The new venture will substantially open doors to new opportunities for Techmagnate and further give a competitive edge to its growth.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Senior bureaucrat Sushil Chandra was given one-year extension till May 2018 as chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
He had taken over as chief of CBDT, the apex policy making body of the Income Tax department, on 1st November 2016.
2. US President Donald Trump has nominated Indian-American Neil Chatterjee as a Member of Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
His term will expire on 30th June 2021.
3. Indian-American Mona Jha was appointed as Chief Diversity Officer at Baruch College, New York.
She will help to effectuate change in the staffing and faculty at the college to reflect the diversity of the student body.
4. IFS officer Venu Rajamony, Press Secretary to President Pranab Mukherjee, was appointed India’s Ambassador to the Netherlands.
He had been serving in the Rashtrapati Bhawan since August 2012.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. International Monetary Fund in its regional economic outlook has predicted the growth rate of India as 7.2% in the 2017-18 fiscal and 7.7% in 2018-19 fiscal.
The report has stated that the disruptions are caused by the demonetization.
2. According to a report by UN ESCAP, Indian economy will grow 7.5 per cent next year by virtue of consumption revival and higher infrastructure spending.
For 2017, India’s economic growth is projected stable at 7.1 per cent before catapulting to 7.5 per cent going into the next year.
3. Bank of India has cut its marginal cost of funds-based lending rates by 5-10 basis points for May.
The revised rates are in the 8.25-8.40 per cent range.
4. Reserve Bank of India will soon start identifying cases for resolution of non-performing assets in consultation with IBA for necessary action.
The Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) and the corporate debt restructuring cell already have information about the NPA cases that have not come to fruition.
5. Oil Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC Videsh Limited) produced a record 12.6 million tonnes of crude oil and equivalent gas from its assets abroad in 2016-2017.
The output was up from 8.92 million tonnes of oil and equivalent gas in 2015- 2016.
6. State Bank of India (SBI) cut rates on home loans of up to Rs. 30 lakh by 25 basis points for new borrowers.
The rate was reduced to 8.35% from 8.60%—the second time in 2017.
For loans ranging from Rs30 lakh to Rs75 lakh, the bank has cut rates by 10 basis points.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Jharkhand government has signed a MoU with US-based technology major Oracle.
The objective is to enhance delivery of services to citizens as well as make the State more attractive for startups.
Oracle’s cloud services will be used to support the State by providing transparent governance.
Science & Technology:
1. The US military’s experimental space plane, X-37B landed at NASA’s Kennedy Space Centre in Florida after completing a two-year-long classified space mission.
The space plane blasted off in May 2015 aboard an Atlas 5 rocket built by United Launch Alliance.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images