1. Union Ministry of Health and Welfare launched Media Campaign for Mission Indradhanush. The media campaign includes a song composed by Bollywood lyricist and scriptwriter Javed Akhtar. The campaign was launched for creating awareness regarding the importance to fully immunize every child against all vaccine preventable diseases in the country.
2. Indian ecologist Madhav Gadgil and US Scientist Dr. Jane Lubchenco were named for the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement 2015. They were named for the award for their leadership and engagement in the development of conservation and sustainability policies in the United States, India and internationally.
3. World Tuberculosis Day (WTD) 2015 was globally observed on 24th March 2015. The main sub-theme and message for the year 2015 is “Reach, Treat, Cure Everyone”.
4. The Supreme Court (SC) of India declared Section 66A of the Information Technology (IT) Act, 2000 as unconstitutional and struck it down. The section empowers law enforcement agencies to arrest those who post objectionable content online and provides for a three-year jail term.
5. The President of India Pranab Mukherjee awarded Certificate of Honour to eminent scholars of Sanskrit, Pali/Prakrit, Arabic and Persian. He also conferred the Maharishi Badrayan Vyas Samman to young scholars for the year 2014. These certificates were given at a function at Rashtrapati Bhawan, New Delhi.
6. Maharashtra Government announced that those involved in the sale of gutka in the state will be booked under Section 328 of Indian Penal Code (IPC), that is, sale of gutka will be made a non-bailable offence. The decision was announced by State Food and Drug Minister Girish Bapat in the State Legislative Assembly.
1. Germanwings Airbus A320 plane crashes in French Alps, all 148 on board feared dead. The plane was travelling from the Spanish coastal city of Barcelona to the German city of Duesseldorf when it went down in the Barcelonnette area in southeastern France.
2. New York University (NYU) announced Prison Education Programme (PEP) to Educate US Prisoners. Indian-American New York University (NYU) Professor Nikhil Pal Singh will heads programme. The programme is a new initiative of New York University to bring college education to the inmates of a medium-security prison in New York State.
3. Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore (NUS) to improve India’s rating on ease of doing business. The MoU aimed to enhance the ease of doing business and bring the rating of India amongst the top 50 countries from the present 142nd slot as per World Bank Report.
4. According to Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) who released Trends in International Arms Transfers 2014 report, India is the world’s largest importer of weapons and military equipment, accounting for 15 percent of global imports, with Russia being its majority supplier.
1. The capital market regulator, Security and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) Board approved SEBI (International Financial Services Centres) Guidelines, 2015. The guidelines for IFSCs aim to provide an enabling environment for setting up of capital market infrastructure like stock exchanges, clearing houses, depository services, etc., in such centres.
1. The Union Government announced that Shashi Kapoor was selected for the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2014. The 77-year-old the veteran film actor and producer is the 46th Dada Saheb Phalke Award winner. The 2014 Dadasaheb Phalke award to Shashi Kapoor made him the third member of Kapoor family to receive the award after Prithviraj Kapoor and Raj Kapoor.