1. Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched a scheme for girl child – “Aapki Beti Humari Beti” – with an aim to combat the problem of declining child sex ratio in the state.
2. JUST Global launched Women’s Safety App “iSafe” for Thiruvananthapuram City Police on 8th March 2015 (on International Women’s Day).
3. Green India and MGNREGA are working together to facilitate afforestation.
4. Artificial glacier in the form of Ice stupa to store water inaugurated in Phyang village of Ladakh.
5. India and Spain signed an agreement on “Mutual Protection of Classified Information” to provide the framework for enhanced bilateral cooperation in areas of defense research, development and technology cooperation.
6. The first Indo-Nepal Friendship Motor Rally concluded on 8 March 2015 at India Gate in New Delhi. It’s aim is to strengthen bilateral relations between India and Nepal and spreading the message of road safety.
7. Eighth India-Nepal combined exercise named Surya Kiran VIII concluded on 7 March 2015.
8. PM Narendra Modi to leave for five days trip to Sri Lanka, Mauritius and Seychelles.
9. Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit meets Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani in Delhi.
10. Veteran sports journalist K. Baskaran died.
11. India signed four agreements with Seychelles:
• Cooperation in hydrography
• Cooperation in renewable energy
• Cooperation in Infrastructure development
• Cooperation in Sale of navigation charts and electronic navigational charts
12. Indian Railways signed MoU with LIC for implementing Railway projects. Under this MoU, LIC will make available a Financial Assistance of 150000 crore rupees to the Indian Railways for implementing Railway projects over the next five years.
13. Industrialist Deepak Khaitan died after a prolonged spell of illness.
14. First Kisan Call Centre of North-East opened in Agartala, Tripura.
15. Mars Inc, maker of Snickers and Galaxy bars, set to open first chocolate factory in India.
1. International Women’s Day 2015 observed on 8th March 2015 with theme ‘Make it Happen’.
2. Nimrud city in Iraq is now acquired by ISIS.
3. Kumar P. Barve, the first Indian- American to be elected to a US state legislature, has decided to run for the US Congress in the 2016 elections.
4. Pakistan successfully test-fires nuclear capable Shaheen-III ballistic missile.
5. Infosys opens new 250-seater BPO in Aguadilla, Puerto Rico.
6. Google CFO Patrick Pichette announced his retirement.
7. US President Barack Obama nominated David Hale as Ambassador to Pakistan.
8. Indian-American Kumar P Barve decided to run for US Congress in 2016 elections.
9. Three Indian-Americans – Saran Prembabu, Shashwat Kishore and Anvita Gupta win medals at “Intel science competition”.
10. Sir Terry Pratchett has passed away on 12th March, 2015. He famous renowned fantasy author and creator of the Discworld series.
1. Tata will acquire 25% stake in One97 Communications, Paytm’s parent firm.
2. ITC is going to hike the Cigarette Price in India upto 15%.
3. Reserve Bank of India and Sri Lankan Central Bank agrees for a $1.5 billion currency swap agreement.
4. Japan and France agrees on arms transfer deal.
1. Ashwin Mittal is the new CFO of Walmart India.
2. Harish Manwani is appointed as the Global Executive Advisor of Blackstone Group.
3. Union Government appointed Nine Executive Directors in Public Sector Banks.
List of appointments:
• Charan Singh – Executive Director of UCO Bank
• K Venkata Rama Moorthy –Executive Director of Bank of Baroda
• RP Marathe – Executive Director of Bank of India
• Harideesh Kumar B – Executive Director, Canara Bank
• NK Sahoo – Executive Director of Allahabad Bank
• Pawan Kumar Bajaj – Executive Director of Indian Overseas Bank
• Ravi Shankar Pandey – Executive Director of Syndicate Bank
• Kishore Piraji Kharat – Executive Director of Union Bank of India
• RC Lodha – Executive Director of Central Bank of India
4. Blackstone appointed former COO of Unilever Harish Manwani as Global Executive Adviser.
5. Congress legislator and deputy speaker N Shakthan was elected as the new speaker of the Kerala Assembly.
6. TCS appoints Aarthi Subramanian as Executive Director.
7. Dileep K. Nair has been appointed as the first chancellor of North East Frontier Technical University (NEFTU) at Aalo in West Siang district.
1. Carolina Marin Martin of Spain won Women’s Singles Title in All England Open Badminton Championships 2015. She defeated India’s Saina Nehwal by score of 14-21, 21-16, 21-7.
2. Kumar Sangakkara becomes the first player in the history of Cricket World Cup to score 4 consecutive 100. He became 2nd cricketer in world to cross 14,000 ODI runs, after Sachin Tendulkar. He also recently announced retirement from Test Cricket.
3. 1998 Asian Games gold-medallist Dingko Singh on 10 March 2015 was included in National Boxing Selection panel. Currently, Dingko Singh is working as a coach at the Imphal centre of the Sports Authority of India (SAI).
4. United Arab Emirates (UAE) won the bid to host AFC Asian Cup 2019.
5. Karnataka won the Ranji Trophy (Cricket) in season 2014-15 by defeating Tamil Nadu by an innings and 217 runs played at the Wankhede stadium in Mumbai.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Famous kathak dancer Birju Maharaj has been awarded with Ustad Chand Khan Lifetime Achievement Award for taking forward the legacy of Kalka-Bindadin Gharana of Lucknow.
Awardees of Stree Shakti Puraskar 2014 are:
Rani Gaidinliu Zeliang Award: Sister Mariola (Rajasthan)
Rani Lakshmibai Award: Seema Prakash (Madhya Pradesh)
Rani Rudramma Devi Award: Astha Sansthan- NGO (Rajasthan)
Mata Jijabai Award: Chandraprabha Bokey (Maharashtra)
Kannagi Award: P. Bhanumati (Kerala)
Devi Ahilyabai Holkar Award: Anay Rahit Zindagi- NGO (Goa).
About Stree Shakti Puraskar Awards: To recognize the spirit of courage in women in difficult circumstances, who have established the spirit of courage in their personal or professional life.
2. Former Union Minister and senior Congress leader M. Veerappa Moily has selected for Saraswati Samman for 2014 for his Kannada poem “Ramayana Mahanveshanam”.
3. Kerala won the silver prize of Golden Gate award for promoting the backwaters of Kerala.
4. Ganasen Reddy is awarded with KwaZulu-Natal 2015 National Teachers Awards held in Johannesburg.
Science & Technology:
1. Solar Impulse is the World’s first solar-powered aircraft. It taked off from Abu Dhabi, UAE and Ahmedabad (Gujarat) on 10th March, 2015.
2. “Digital Gender Atlas for Advancing Girls Education” – a web based tool was launched by MoHRD for advancing girls education.
3. “Rotavac” is India’s first indigenously developed and manufactured Rotavirus vaccine.
4. “Pharma Jan Samadhan Scheme” – a web enabled system is launched by Union Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. KPMG acquired by Indian arm of Spanish boutique advisory firm AF-Mercados.
2. DLF ties up with Snapdeal to sell flats online.
3. Aditya Birla Retail acquired Total hypermarket.
4. Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba: To invest in Snapdeal & Snapchat.
5. Snapdeal in advance talks to buy Freecharge for Rs 2,800 crore.
6. Flipkart is close to making its third acquisition this year by buying mobile app marketing start-up DSYN Technologies Pvt. Ltd, as it seek to improve and expand its technology capabilities to capture a shift in customers’ shopping preference toward mobiles from desktop computers and laptops.