1. Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) commissioned a 500 MW coal-based power plant unit at Vindhyachal Super Thermal Power Station (STPS) in Vindhyanagar, Singrauli district of Madhya Pradesh.
2. Union Government launched the School Nursery Yojana, an initiative to bring students closer to nature.
The Yojana seeks to engage class VI to IX in raising of saplings in nurseries created in schools.
3. At least 11 people including one woman were killed in a stampede near Durga temple in Jharkhand’s Deoghar. More than 20 people were injured in the incident.
4. The Param Tyag Chakra initiative was launched by the Alumni Association of Rajagiri School of Engineering and Technology to honour family members of brave military men, who sacrificed their lives for the nation.
5. Union Government and Delhi Government agreed to set-up a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) for the cleaning-up and rejuvenation of the Yamuna River.
6. Union Government launched Suraksha Bandhan drive in a Mission Mode through participating banks and insurance companies to facilitate enrolment under social security schemes.
7. Global satellite called GlobalSat for DRR was in news in the first week of August 2015 as it was proposed to be named after former Indian President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam who died on 27 July 2015.
8. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has amended income tax rules to provide reporting of information with regards to financial assets and accounts to comply with Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) pact signed between India and US.
9. As per recently released data by US Department of Agriculture (DoA), India has emerged as world’s largest exporter of beef.
1. China has started the construction of an academy for Tibetan Buddhism at Chengdu in southwest China at a cost of $18.9 million.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Indian sociobiologist Raghavendra Gadagkar was awarded with the Germany’s highest civilian honour Cross of Order of the Merit at the German Consulate in Bengaluru.
2. Ajeet Kumar Saroj, a 23-year-old culpable homicide convict lodged in Varanasi central jail was awarded with gold medal by the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) at Banaras Hindu University (BHU).
He was awarded for topping in Diploma in Tourism Studies.
3. Goa Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar received the Pacific Area Travel Writers Association (PATWA) – Safari India South Asia Travel Award 2015.
Parulekar is the first tourism minister of Goa to receive this prestigious award.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. China-based Smartphone maker Xiaomi Inc has tied up with Taiwan-based Foxconn to set first Assembly line in Andhra Pradesh under ‘Make in India’ initiative.
These two Smartphone manufacturer giants has forayed together into Indian electronics market to roll out Xiaomi’s first locally made Smartphone, the Redmi2 Prime as it seeks to expand its market share in India.
2. LyondellBasell, one of the world’s largest plastics, chemical and refining companies, has entered into a definitive agreement for the acquisition of SJS Plastiblends Pvt. Ltd. (SJS), a polypropylene compounds (PPC) manufacturer, located in Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India.
1. Senior Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Ram Nath Kovind was appointed as Governor of Bihar.
1. Central government has capped the subsidy payout on kerosene at INR 12 per litre and INR 18 per kg for LPG and notifies the upstream companies to bear about INR 5,000-6,000 crore kerosene subsidy for the fiscal year.
2. Phicomm, a Shanghai-based smartphone maker has announced to invest around 6400 crore rupees in India by 2017.
The company has decided to set up five business units in phased manner which includes units of – Mobile phones, Cloud services, Enterprise, SOHO- Small Office Home Office networking products and Intelligent Cities in India.
3. Global electronic manufacturing giant Foxconn and Maharashtra Government signed an agreement in Mumbai to invest 5 billion US dollar in the state over the next five year.
Science & Technology:
1. Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has launched a new mobile app ‘Disha’ to aid digital literacy in Bihar.
The app was launched in Bihar that aims to help people learn about computers and Internet through self-learning modules.
The app envisages offering digital literacy to tribal and Dalit women in the State which is free and available on Google app store.
2. Typhoon Soudelor made its landfall on the east coast of the Taiwanese city of Hualien.
After the landfall, the typhoon battered Taiwan with fierce winds ranging 230km/h (142mph) and rain leaving four people dead and a trail of devastation.
3. Cross-category classifieds platform Quikr today launched its own separate automobile vertical QuikrCars, which will allow buying and selling of cars, bikes and commercial vehicles.
1. Eminent Kannada poet and freedom fighter Kayyara Kinhanna Rai passed away at Badiyadkka in Kasaragod district of Kerala. He was 101.