Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Pakistan and China have launched a joint bilateral air force exercise named Shaheen (Eagle) 5 in Pakistan.
This is the fifth edition of such drill between the two countries.
It will take place from April 9 to 30, 2016.
The motive behind this exercise is to boost bilateral relations between all-weather friends China and Pakistan.
International – Across the Globe:
1. United Nations (UN) will observe the birth anniversary of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, father of the Indian Constitution on April 13, 2016, a day before his date of birth, for the first time.
The main focus of this observance will be on combating inequalities to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The 125th birth anniversary Dr. Ambedkar will be commemorated at the UN headquarters in New York by the Permanent Mission of India to the UN, in association with the Kalpana Saroj Foundation and Foundation For Human Horizon.
2. Pakistan has test fired anti-ship surface to sea “Zarb” missile from the coastal areas successfully.
It hit its target in the Arabian Sea after it was fired from a strategic point located at a coastal area.
The missile was formally inducted into Pakistan Navy‘s defence system soon after the test.
1. Malaysia’s badminton star Lee Chong Wei has won2016 Malaysian Open title in the men’s single category.
Lee defeated Chen Long (world number 1) of China.
It was Chong Wei’s overall 11th Malaysia Open title after having won in 2004, 2005, 2006 and consecutively from 2008-2014.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The IIT (Indian Institute of Technology)-Kharagpur has won the National Intellectual Property (IP) Award in the academic institutes category.
These awards are bestowed every year on outstanding innovators, organizations and companies in the fields of patents, designs, trademarks, and geographical indications on the occasion of World IP Day.
The institute will be awarded the prize Top Academic Institute for Patents 2016 by the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry on the occasion of World IP Day (26 April 2016).
IIT- Kharagpur’s ‘100 patents drive’ initiative had played pivotal role for winning this award.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk announced his resignation in the wake of a months-long political crisis.
His resignation was approved by the President Petro Poroshenko and has selected Parliament speaker Volodymyr Groysman to assume the Prime Minister post.
Mr. Yatsenyuk had entered in office since former pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych was ousted in February 2014 during the Crimean crisis.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Sri Lankan Government has formally announced the resumption of work on the stalled Chinese Colombo Port City project.
The announcement was made in the Joint Statement by China and Sri Lanka at the conclusion of the official state visit of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe to Beijing.
Both sides will use the Chinese initiative to develop a 21st Century Maritime Silk Road to advance infrastructure development in Sri Lanka.
Science & Technology:
1. NASA’s Kepler spacecraft has gone into emergency mode (EM) some 75 million miles from Earth.
The lowest operational mode EM of the spacecraft was discovered during a scheduled contact for undertaking microlensing observing campaign.
Initial indications shows that Kepler had entered EM before mission operations began the manoeuvre to orient the spacecraft to point towards the centre of the Milky Way.
2. Chinese researchers have developed Graphene based all-weather solar cell that can generate electricity even during rains.
The new approach for making an all-weather solar cell by using the ‘wonder material’ graphene was developed by the team of researchers from the Ocean University of China and Yunnan Normal University.
The new all-weather solar cell is made up of highly efficient dye-sensitised solar cell coated with a very thin film of graphene.
1. Former Union Minister of state (MoS) Dr C Silvera passed away due stroke in Aizawl District, Mizoram. He was 80.
He had served as Union MoS for Ministry of Health and Family Welfare from 17 February 1994 to 15 September 1999.
He was the first and so far the only person from Mizoram to be in the Indian Union Council of Ministers as Minister.