1. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) directed the Uttar Pradesh (UP) government to ensure that no unauthorized construction activities are permitted and no trees cut in the eco-sensitive zone near the Taj Mahal.
2. Kochi became the first Indian city to be a member of Beijing headquartered World Tourism Cities Federation (WTCF) Council and join its league of leading tourism cities across the world.
3. The Union Minister for Minority Affairs Najma Heptulla launched a new Central Sector Scheme Nai Manzil in Patna.
The scheme will address educational and livelihood needs of minority communities in general and muslims in particular as it lags behind other minority communities in terms of educational attainments.
4. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launched new train services in the Northeast after the completion of North Lakhimpur-Murkongselek and Balipara- Bhalukpong sections into broad-gauge.
He launched the service through video-conferencing from New Delhi.
5. Rajasthan High Court banned the ‘Santhara’ ritual prevailing in the Jain Community.
Pronouncing its judgment, the court considered the act as a criminal act amounting to suicide and directed to register cases under section 306 of Indian Penal Code (IPC).
6. Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has fully commissioned and started commercial production at the first indigenous Titanium Sponge Plant at Chavara in Kerala.
1. Senior India hockey player Gurbaj Singh was suspended for 9 months for indulging in groupism and creating disharmony within the team.
This suspension means that Gurbaj will be unable to play for India till 9 May 2016.
Awards & Recognition:
1. President of India, Pranab Mukherjee presented the 24th Saraswati Sammaan for the year 2014 to Dr. M Veerappa Moily, Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) in New Delhi.
He received the award for his epic Sri Ramayana Mahanveshanam written in Kannada.
2. Kerala government announced State film awards 2014 in various categories which are as follows-
Best actor award: Nivin Pauly (Bangalore Days and 1983) and Sudev Nair (My Life Partner).
Best actress: Nasriya Naseem for her performance in the films ‘Om Shanthi Hosana’ and ‘Bangalore Days’.
Best child actor: Master Adwaith.
Best child actress: Anna Fathima.
Best male playback singer:J.Yesudas.
Best female playback singer: Shreya Ghoshaal.
Best Director: Sanalkumar Sasidharan for his film OraalPokkam.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. World’s sixth largest South Korean steelmaker Posco has signed an agreement to form a Joint venture with Uttam Steel and Power to set up a 3 million tonnes per year integrated steel plant in Maharashtra.
2. The billionaire Warren E Buffett led Berkshire Hathaway has agreed to acquire the metal parts manufacturer Precision Castparts Corporation (PCC) for 37.2 billion US dollars.
1. India-born Sundar Pichai named CEO of restructured Google.
Larry Page announced the formation of a new umbrella firm Alphabet, of which Google will be a part.
2. Actor Amitabh Bachchan has agreed to become the state ambassador for the ‘Save the Tiger’ campaign and promote tiger tourism.
3. Snapdeal names former Adobe senior executive Viraj Chatterjee as its latest vice president for Engineering.
Science & Technology:
1. Search engine giant Google Inc launched a new parent company called Alphabet Inc that separates its highly profitable search and advertising business.
The new parent company was formed as part of Google’s new organizational structure which will help the company to keep tremendous focus on the extraordinary opportunities and products.
1. International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples was observed on 9th August 2015 with the theme Post 2015 Agenda: Ensuring indigenous peoples’ health and well-being.
2. The World Bio-Fuel Day was observed across the world. The day is observed every year with an aim to create awareness about non fossil-fuels (Green Fuels).
1. Veteran Marathi stage actor, singer and drama producer Bhalchandra Pendharkar died at a private hospital in Mumbai. He was 94.