Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Government has constituted a three member committee to prepare a policy framework for taxi and other transport operators.
Sanjay Mitra, Secretary of Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, will be the head of this committee.
Joint Secretary, Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways and Delhi Transport Commissioner are its other two members.
2. Harish Rawat-led Congress Government has won the floor test in the state legislative assembly, which was conducted on 10 May 2016 on the order of the Supreme Court.
In the floor test Harish Rawat Government received 33 votes against 28 votes out of 61 qualified members who voted in the assembly.
According to this, the apex court has allowed Mr Rawat to assume office as Chief Minister after President’s rule is revoked in the state.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Anti-crime candidate and mayor of Davao City, Rodrigo Duterte has won the 2016 presidential election of the Philippines by a landslide victory.
He will become the 16th President-elect of Philippines.
He was followed by Mar Roxas 23% (9.27 million) votes and his closest rival Grace Poe with 22% (8.6 million) votes.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The Madhya Pradesh Tourism (MPT) won the Lonely Planet Group’s Best Indian Destination for Wildlife Award.
The award was handed over to MPT at a function in Mumbai by actress Amy Jackson.
The award was received by his Officer on Special Duty (OSD) Vinod Kumar Amar, on behalf of MPT Chairman.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Industries (Development and Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2015 has passed by the Parliament after the Lok Sabha adopted certain amendments made by the Rajya Sabha.
The Bill seeks to amend the Industries (Development and Regulation) Act, 1951 that provides for development and regulation of certain industries.
The Bill seeks to transfer from the Centre to states the control over industries engaged in the production of potable alcohol.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) soon going to issue banknotes of 1000 rupees denominations with inset letter ‘R’ in both the number panels.
These new banknotes will be issued in the Mahatma Gandhi Series – 2005.
Besides, all the banknotes in the denomination of 1000 rupees issued by RBI in the past would continue to be legal tender.
The design of these new 1000 rupees banknotes is similar in all respects to the earlier issued banknotes of same denominations in Mahatma Gandhi Series – 2005.
Science & Technology:
1. Indian Navy has launched the state-of-the-art Harbour Defence Systems, viz. Integrated Underwater Harbour Defence and Surveillance System (IUHDSS) in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
Mine Warfare Data Centre (MWDC) was also launched.
IUHDSS and MWDC systems seek to enhance the Indian Navy’s surveillance capability and response to security threats at the Naval Dockyard in Visakhapatnam.
2. NASA’s unmanned Kepler space observatory has discovered the largest trove of exoplanets outside our solar system.
So far, it has discovered total of 1,284 exoplanets and it is more than double the number of known exoplanets found with the Kepler space telescope.
The unmanned Kepler space observatory was launched in 2009 and was tasked with determining how commonly, Earth-like planets occur throughout the Milky Way galaxy.
1. National Technology Day is being observed across India on May 11 to glorify the importance of science in day-to-day life and motivate students to adopt science as a career option.
2016 Theme is ‘Technology enablers of Startup India’.
The day is being commemorated to celebrate the “anniversary of first of the five tests of Operation Shakti (Pokhran-II) nuclear test”, held on 11 May 1998 in Pokhran, Rajasthan.