Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Union Government in the second week of April 2016 signed Sachin Tendulkar to endorse the I Support Skill India campaign.
The step is taken in an attempt to reach out to the youth and build awareness on the importance of skill development.
Tendulkar was signed for the campaign as he resonates the best with skills. He is a true global icon and brand that disrupted the game of cricket through his skill sets and inspired generation.
2. The Information & Broadcasting ministry constituted a three-member committee (B B Tandon Committe) to check violations of the Supreme Court guidelines with regard to content in government advertising.
The committee was formed in compliance with the Supreme Court directions dated 13 May 2015.
The committee is headed by former Chief Election Commissioner B B Tandon. Apart from Tandon, the other two members of the committee are Rajat Sharma, Editor-in-Chief of India TV, and Piyush Pandey, Executive Chairman South Asia, Ogilvy and Mather.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The two-day G7 Foreign Ministers’ Meeting held from 10 April to 11 April 2016 ended in Hiroshima.
The focal points of the meet were Global security, the refugee crisis and political instability.
The meeting ended with adoption of Hiroshima Declaration, a joint communique, and two other statements on nonproliferation and maritime security.
1. Danny Willett from England won the prestigious 2016 US Masters Golf tournament.
It was his first major championship with a score of 283 (−5) and three strokes ahead of runners-up Lee Westwood (UK) and the defending champion Jordan Spieth (US).
By winning the tournament Willett became the first European golfer to win the Masters since 1999, and the first from England since Nick Faldo’s similar win in 1996.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Investigative journalist Khadija Ismayilova of Azerbaijan has been chosen for the prestigious 2016 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize.
The award honours a person, organization or institution for their outstanding contribution to the defence and promotion of freedom of press anywhere in the world, especially achieved in the face of danger.
She will be bestowed with this award during the celebration of World Press Freedom Day i.e. on 3 May 2016 in recognition of her outstanding contribution to press freedom in difficult circumstances.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Maldives have signed six agreements in different sectors to boost bilateral relations between both maritime neighbouring countries.
These agreements were inked after comprehensive talks between visiting Maldives President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom and Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
The bilateral agreements were signed in the fields of avoidance of double taxation, conservation and restoration of ancient mosque, tourism and defence.
These agreements are:
Agreement for Avoidance of Double Taxation of income derived from International Air Transport.
Agreement for the Exchange of Information with respect to Taxes.
Agreement related to Orbit Frequency Coordination of South Asia Satellite (SAS) proposed at 48oE.
MoU for Cooperation in the area of conservation and restoration of ancient mosques in Maldives.
Action Plan for Defence Cooperation.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has given its in-principle approval to Bharti Airtel’s payments bank venture – Airtel M Commerce Services Ltd (AMCS).
With this AMCS has become the first entity to receive final approval from the RBI to start a payments bank.
Airtel M Commerce is a subsidiary of Bharti Airtel, a telecom company.
1. Every year 12th April is being observed as the International Day of Human Space Flight to commemorate the date of the first human space flight in the history of mankind.
On this day in 1961, Yuri Gagarin, a Soviet Union (USSR) cosmonaut undertook first successful first human space flight.
This historic event opened the way for space exploration for the benefit of all humanity.
In Russia and some other former USSR countries, this historic day is celebrated as Cosmonautics Day.
2016 is the 55th anniversary of First Human Space Flight.