Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
1. Union Government has constituted a committee to fast track the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Corridor, meant for connecting two cities with bullet trains. The committee is tasked to interact with the Japanese counterpart for taking further steps in implementation of Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Corridor.
2. The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has approved major changes in the new Defence Procurement Procedure (DDP) 2016.
These changes were made in DPP 2016 to streamline defence acquisitions and give a big impetus to indigenization of Defence sector through the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
3. Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari unveiled measures to improve road safety across the country.
In this action plan, they include following activities-
Constitution of the Road Safety Authority to look after overall aspects related to road safety in the county.
Introduction of the Road Transport and Safety Bill in the Parliament for seamless development of a secure, efficient, cost-effective, sustainable and inclusive transport system for the movement of passenger and freight in the country.
11000 crore rupees will spent, between 2015 and 2019, to fix block spots across the country. This measure is in addition to the website that was launched to help in identifying black spots where accidents take place frequently.
Computers will be used for conducting driving tests to curb irregularities in issuing licenses.
Airbags will be made compulsory in every car.
4. Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu flagged off a new train service 22127/22128 Lokmanya Tilak(T)-Kazipet Anandwan Express by remote flagging from Rail Bhawan.
The Train will run weekly once and connect Mumbai and Kazipet of Telangana, via Chandrapur and Wardha of Maharashtra.
1. India-Australia social security Agreement signed between both countries came into operation.
This agreement will enable people of both nations to avail retirement benefits in each other’s country and will boost bilateral business linkages.
1. Barcelona FC forward Lionel Messi from Argentina has won the 2016 FIFA Ballon d’Or Award.
Awards & Resignations:
1. The Nati folk dance of Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest folk dance in the world.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Homegrown e-commerce giant Flipkart has promoted co-founder Binny Bansal to the post of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) from current post Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the company.
2. Devender Kumar Sikri sworn in as the Chairman of Competition Commission of India (CCI).
3. Airbus Group announced the appointment of Ashish Saraf as Vice-President – Industry Development, Strategic Partnerships and Offsets.
Science & Technology:
1. Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu inaugurated implementation of E-enabled Track Management System (TMS) and Mobile Application of TMS on Indian Railway at Rail Bhawan in New Delhi.
1. In India, January 12 is being observed as National Youth Day.
This day marks birth anniversary of social reformer, philosopher and thinker Swami Vivekananda.
1. Music Legend David Bowie passed away in New York, United States following a battle with liver cancer. He was 69.
2. The first female F1 (Formula One) driver Maria Teresa de Filippis passed away on 8 January 2016 in Italy. She was 89.