Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
1. Union Government has constituted a committee to fast track the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Corridor, meant for connecting two cities with bullet trains.
The committee is tasked to interact with the Japanese counterpart for taking further steps in implementation of Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Corridor.
2. The book titled Jawaharlal Nehru and The Indian Polity in Perspective was released by the Vice President of India Hamid Ansari at Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala.
The focus of the book is on the role of Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s first Prime Minister, on shaping the polity of modern India.
3. Union Minister for Fertilizers and Chemicals Ananth Kumar announced the sanction of greenfield petrochemical complex and National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) in Visakhapatnam and a Central Institute of Plastics Engineering & Technology (CIPET) in Vijayawada.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) has won the National Award on e-Governance 2015-16 for launching the Universal Account Number (UAN).
EPFO has won the gold award in this edition of awards in the ‘innovative use of technology in e-governance’ category and will get a cash prize of 2 lakh rupees.
2. Kerala has become the first Indian state to achieve 100 per cent primary education.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. The U.S.-India Business Council (USIBC) Board of Directors selected Council board members Edward Monser, President of Emerson, and Punit Renjen, CEO of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited (Deloitte Global), as USIBC Vice Chairs.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. President Pranab Mukherjee has given assent to the Sugar Cess (Amendment) Bill, 2015 to raise the ceiling of a cess as an excise duty on the production of sugar.
The Bill proposes to increase this ceiling of sugar to INR 200 per quintal from existing INR 25 per quintal specified in the principal Act.
The principal Act empowers central government to fix the rate of sugar cess from time to time.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Reliance Defence Ltd (RDL) has inked Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Andhra Pradesh Government to set up a world class naval facility in the state.
RDL is going to use these two naval facilities to build submarines and aircraft carriers on lines with Make in India and also provide services including maintenance and refitting of ships.
2. The Union Cabinet gave its ex-post facto approval for the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Maldives on co-operation in the field of health.
Science & Technology:
1. State owed telecom service provider Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has launched the high speed 4G (Fourth Generation) telecom services at Chandigarh in Punjab circle.
With this launch, BSNL became fifth telecom service provider in India to launch 4G service after Airtel (1st), Aircel (2nd), Vodafone (3rd) and Reliance Jio (4th).
2. Lenovo to launch new smartphone under Google’s Project Tango.
What is Project Tango?
Google’s 3D technology project that allows users to explore their physical environment on mobile devices without using external signals like GPS.
1. Jacob-Farj-Rafael “JFR” Jacob (Retired Lieutenant General), a key architect in India’s victory in 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War passed away in New Delhi. He was 92.
2. Hall of Famer Monte Irvin, an outfielder who starred for the New York Giants in the 1950s, died on 11 January 2016 in Houston, Texas, the USA. He was 96.