1. Vyavsayik Pariksha Mandal/Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) Vyapam scam was in news as Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) constituted a special team of 40 officers, under a Joint Director level officer, to probe the multi-crore Vyapam scam of Madhya Pradesh.
Vyapam scam is an admission and recruitment scam involving politicians, senior officials and businessmen in Madhya Pradesh. The scam involved a collusion of undeserving candidates, who bribed politicians and MPPEB officials through middlemen, to get high ranks in these entrance tests.
2. The book Green Signals: Ecology, Growth, and Democracy in India was in news in the second week of July 2015. It was written by former Union Environment and Forest Minister (Independent Charge) Jairam Ramesh.
It unveils the story of environmental policy making in India from the perspective of a pivotal decision maker.
1. The QS Intelligence Unit released the QS University Rankings: BRICS 2015. This 2015 edition reflects the increasingly strong global presence of leading Chinese universities with the top three spots going to Tsinghua University, Peking University and Fudan University.
All BRICS countries that is Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa are represented within the top 20, however China’s dominance is clear throughout the ranking.
1. The 2015 Wimbledon Championships was a tennis tournament held from 29 June to 12 July 2015. The tournament had taken place at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom. It was the 129th edition of the championships and the 48th edition in the Open Era.
2. Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis, the top-seeded Indo-Swiss pair of Tennis won women’s doubles title at Wimbledon. In the title clash played at Centre Court in London, the Indo-Swiss pair defeated Russian duo of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina.
3. The Indo-Vietnamese pair Sumit Nagal-Nam Hoang Ly won the 2015 Wimbledon Boys’ Doubles title by defeating Opelka and Akira Santillan in the final match held in London.
4. Seventh seed Indo-Swiss pair of Leander Paes and Martina Hingis won mixed doubles title at Wimbledon.
5. World Number One Serena Williams has won Wimbledon Women’s Single title.
6. Defending champion Novak Djokovic won men’s singles title of Wimbledon.
Awards & Recognition:
1. ‘Buddha in a Traffic Jam’ film has won the best original screenplay in a Foreign Language award at the Madrid International Film Festival.
The film is a political satire directed by filmmaker Vivek Agnihotri. It stars Arunoday Singh and Mahi Gill in a lead role along with Anupam Kher, Pallavi Joshi and introduces Anchal Dwivedi.
1. State-run National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has set a target of providing 30,000 crore rupees as credit to farmers for irrigational purpose.
It was announced by Bank’s Chairman and Managing Director Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala in Mumbai on the occasion of 34th Foundation Day of NABARD.
2. India and Kyrgyzstan signed four agreements/Memorandum of Understanding (MOUs) to strengthen bilateral relations as well as regional and international issues of mutual interest, in warm and friendly atmosphere.
3. India and Turkmenistan signed eight agreements/ Memorandum of Understanding (MOUs) to deepen bilateral cooperation between the two nations. They discussed ways to increase regional cooperation and connectivity.
1. The Union Government appointed international lawyer Rodrigo Oreamuno to arbitrate with the UK telecom major Vodafone in the 20000 crore rupees tax case on its behalf.
2. Oreamuno replaces former Chief Justice of India RC Lahoti, who recused himself in May 2015.
3. NRI entrepreneur Lord Karan Bilimoria has been appointed as the president of the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).
Science & Technology:
1. Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju launched the GPS-Aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) system, which would make airline operations more efficient and reduce costs.
GAGAN is a satellite-based navigation system which provides autonomous, high precision geo-spatial location information of the user in terms of latitude, longitude and height along with velocity and time.