Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated three major railway projects in Bihar at an estimated cost of 7000 crore rupees.
- Three projects are Rail-cum-road bridge at Patna over the River Ganga, Rail-cum-road bridge at Munger, Additional bridge at Mokama over the River Ganga: It is double line Railway Bridge.
- These three bridges will provide connectivity to north and south Bihar and further help in development of North Bihar.
2. The Allahabad High Court celebrated its 150th foundation day on 14th March 2016. President Pranab Mukherjee was the Chief Guest of the celebrations.
- Allahabad High Court was established in 1866 after seat was shifted from Agra to Allahabad in 1869. It had replaced the old Sadr Diwani Adalat.
- Chief Justice of India (CJI) TS Thakur and Union Law Minister DV Sadananda Gowda were some of the dignitaries who attended the function.
- On this occasion, CJI Justice Thakur dedicated digitization centre of Allahabad High court, Reserve bank of India (RBI) also released a 10 rupees coin, Postal department released a postage stamp and a Souvenir of the High court.
3. Recently, power generation unit 1 at Kakrapar Atomic Power Station (KAPS) in Gujarat was shut down for indefinitely period after leakage of heavy water.
- The Kakrapar nuclear plant is located near Vyara in south Gujarat. It consists of two units of pressurised heavy water reactors (PHWR) of 220 MW each. NPCIL is operator the plant.
- The reactor was shut down as per design provisions after a small leak in the Primary Heat Transport (PHT) System of the plant was detected.
- Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL), operator of KAPS has confirmed that there was no harmful, radioactive leakage and the backup safety mechanisms for emergency situation are working as intended.
International – Across the Globe:
1. China’s Supreme Court has decided to set up its own International Maritime Judicial Centre (IMJC) to handle territorial disputes and protect its sea rights.
- It was announced by China’s Supreme Court Chief Justice Zhou Qiang at the annual meeting of the national legislature National People’s Congress (NPC).
- This move will help China to bolster its claims in the disputed South and East China seas and also help it become a maritime power.
1. Services has won the 70th edition of Santosh Trophy Football Championships title 2016 by defeating hosts Maharashtra.
- In the final match played at SEC Railway Stadium, Nagpur (Maharashtra), the Services defeated host team Maharashtra by 2-1 goal score.
- Santosh Trophy is an annual Indian football tournament played in India.
- With this win, Services has retained that title and has won it for fifth time in year 1961, 2012, 2013 and 2015.
2. Lin Dan from China has won the prestigious 2016 All England Badminton title in the men’s singles category.
- In the final match played at Birmingham, England he defeated Chinese teammate Tian Houwei by 21-9, 21-10 score.
- It was his overall sixth All England badminton title and earlier he had won it in 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012.
- All England Open Badminton Championships is one of the oldest as well as the prestigious badminton tournaments of the world.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Palestinian teacher Hanan Al Hroub from a refugee camp has been awarded prestigious one million dollar 2016 Global Teacher Prize.
- The Global Teacher Prize was set up by Sunny Varkey, Kerala-born entrepreneur and educational philanthropist in 2014.
- She was presented with the award at a ceremony held in Dubai for her outstanding contribution to the profession.
Science & Technology:
1. Indigenously developed nuclear capable surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-I was successfully test-fired off the Odisha coast.
- Agni-I is the first missile of the Agni series launched in 1983 by the DRDO as part of Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP) in India.
- It was conducted as part of training exercise by the Strategic Forces Command (SFC) of Indian Army.
- The missile was fired from mobile launcher at launchpad-4 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Abdul Kalam Island (Wheeler Island) off the Odisha coast.