Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. 13 February – 18 February 2016 is being observed as “Make In India Week”. So, on 13 February 2016, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Make in India Week at the MMRDA grounds in Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The 7th joint military training exercise “LAMITYE 2016” began on 15 February 2016, between the Indian Army and the Seychelles People’s Defence Forces (SPDF).
- It will be continued till 28 February 2016.
- It will be conducted at Seychelles Defence Academy (SDA) in Victoria, Seychelles.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The 69th British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) held at the Royal Opera House in London. The awards are announced as:
- Best Film: The Revenant.
- Outstanding British Film: Brooklyn.
- Best Director: Alejandro G. Iñárritu (The Revenant).
- Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant).
- Best Actress: Brie Larson (Room).
2. The Film ‘Nagaland is changing, But…’, directed by Gurmeet Sapal, has won the Golden Beaver Best Film Award in the institutional category at the 6th National Science Film Festival held in Mumbai.
3. Bollywood actress Vidya Balan has been awarded with the ‘Pride of Kerala’ Award by the World Malayalee Council and Kairali TV.
- She belongs to Kerala and had made her debut in Bollywood in 2005 in Parineeta.
- She won National Film Award for Best Actress for The Dirty Picture (2011), Padma Shri Award in 2014, five Filmfare Awards in Best Female Debut for Parineeta (2005), Best Actress for Paa (2009), The Dirty Picture (2011) and Kahaani (2012) and Critics Award for Best Actress for Ishqiya (2010).
4. President Pranab Mukherjee on 13 February 2016 conferred Infosys Prize 2015 on six winners in New Delhi. These winners are: – Prof Umesh Waghmare, Prof Jonardon Ganeri, Dr Amit Sharma, Prof Mahan Mj, Prof G Ravindra Kumar and Dr Srinath Raghavan.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Dr. Vilas A. Tonapi has been appointed as Director of Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR).
He worked as the Principal Scientist at Seed Science and Technology of the IIMR and Head of Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), New Delhi.
2. Ashok Chawla has been appointed as new Chairman of the Governing Council of TERI on 12 February 2016.
He served as the Finance Secretary to the Government of India and the Chairman of the Competition Commission.
MoU & Mergers:
1. Three Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) predicting a total investment of 21,000 crore rupees were signed on the first day of the Make in India Week in Mumbai, Maharashtra, in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
- First MoU was signed between Twin Star Display Technologies subsidiary of Sterlite Group Company and Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC).
- First MoU was signed as a part of ‘Farm to Fabric’ initiative, between Raymond Industries and MIDC.
- First MoU was signed between Hindustan Coca Cola Beverages, Jain Irrigation Pvt Ltd and Department of Agriculture and Marketing of Maharashtra to set up a juice manufacturing facility to support farmers growing oranges in Vidarbha region of state.
2. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Climate Change and Energy Collaboration has been signed between Canada, United States (US) and Mexico.
- The MoU was signed at the North American Energy Ministers Meeting held in Winnipeg, Canada.
- It was hosted by Canada’s Minister of Natural Resources Jim Carr.
1. The ICC U-19 Cricket World Cup has won by West Indies for the first time, played at Mirpur (Bangladesh).
- WI defeated India by five wickets.
- Keacy Carty (West Indies) declared as “Man of the match”.
- Mehidy Hasan Miraz (Bangladesh) declared as “Player of the tournament”.
1. Biraja Prasad, India’s Ambassador to Tajikistan, passed away following a massive cardiac arrest.
- He was the youngest IFS officer to be appointed as India’s Ambassador to any country. He joined IFS in year 1998.
- He had held assignments like third secretary and then second secretary (Political) in Embassy of India, Moscow (Russia) from 2000 to 2002.
- He served as undersecretary (Russia) in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), New Delhi from 2004 to 2005, undersecretary (Europe West) from 2005 to 2007 in MEA, and Deputy Chief of Mission in Embassy of India at Madrid (Spain).
2. Malayalam’s most celebrated contemporary poet and Jnanpith-winner Ottaplakkal Neelakandan Velu Kurup passed away on 13 February 2016 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was 84.