1. Minister of Railways Suresh Prabhu inaugurated the broad-gauge railway-line between Gandhidham and Tuna-Tekra Portin Gujarat by flagging off a goods train.
The rail line is India’s first railway-line built with private sector participation under Non-Government Railway (NGR) Policy 2012 of Indian Railways.
2. Maharashtra legislative assembly passed the Maharashtra Guarantee of Public Services Bill, 2015. The bill was unanimously passed by the assembly in the absence of Congress and NCP members.
3. The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development launched the #100Women Initiative in collaboration with Facebook to select 100 women achievers of India.
The initiative is aimed at recognizing and acknowledging women who are making a difference in their communities across the country.
4. Union Ministry of Urban Development launched the National Heritage Development and Augmentation Yojana (HRIDAY) for 12 cities in the country from Amritsar in Punjab.
5. United States (US) Department of Defense (DoD) decided to set up a working group to study the policy and readiness implications of allowing transgender persons to serve in the military of the nation.
6. Flipkart is making two top technology hires from the Silicon Valley -, Yahoo’s VP for analytics Eric Lange and Amazon’s Dan Rawson from its fulfilment business, – as India’s biggest ecommerce company continues to build a technology war chest for competing better with Amazon and Snapdeal.
1. Two major Indian Premier League teams Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Rajasthan Royals were suspended from the cricket league for two years.
2. India won the three-match One Day International (ODI) Series against Zimbabwe 3-0 played in Harare.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Krishnapatnam Port in Andhra Pradesh has been awarded Golden Peacock environment management award for its achievements and initiatives in the field of environment.
2. Make in India initiative of DIPP won Frost and Sullivan’s 2015 Economic Development Innovation Award.
3. An India-based software products and technology services company Comparex India Pvt. Ltd on 14 July 2015 won the prestigious Microsoft Country Partner of the Year Award for 2015.
1. Madhya Pradesh government has appointed Rakesh Sahni as the Chairman of Narmada Valley Development Authority (NVDA).
2. Ajay Kumar Pandey was appointed as new Managing Director and Group CEO of Gandhinagar based Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City).
3. Children-focused e-commerce company Firstcry.com has picked actor Amitabh Bachchan as its brand ambassador.
4. Ramakant Jha, who was heading the pet project of Narendra Modi of developing a financial centre in Gandhinagar is joining IL&FS as CEO for smart city initiative.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited (ZELL) is all set to acquire Odia general entertainment channel Sarthak TV which is owned by Sarthak Entertainment.
The acquisition will be from current shareholders of Sarthak Entertainment Private Limited, subject to requisite regulatory approvals, as an all-cash deal at a consideration of maximum of Rs 115 Crores.
1. Union Government has cleared worth over 30,000 crore rupees for buying four more P81 long-range maritime patrol aircraft for the navy and to replace army’s 60s vintage air defense guns.
2. Union Government decided to cap the subsidy payout on kerosene at 12 rupees per litre.
At present, kerosene is sold through public distribution system at 14.96 rupees per litre against the actual cost of 33.47 rupees.
Science & Technology:
1. Scientists at CERN’s Large Hadron Collider (LHC) have discovered a new class of exotic subatomic particles called the Pentaquarks. The discovery was made by the scientist’s after watching the decaying of a subatomic type particle known as the Lambda B baryon.
2. As per recently published study in the journal Nature Communications, Volcanic eruptions by injecting particulates into the atmosphere may have slowed down global warming. The study was based upon research of a team of international researchers including Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) scientists.
1. Doyen music composer Manayangath Subramanian Viswanathan passed away in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He was 87. The veteran musician had composed music for over a thousand films in Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam and was fondly called as the King of Light Music (Mellisai Mannar in Tamil).
2. Iconic Mexican musician Joan Sebastian passed away after battling bone cancer for more than 15 years in Juliantla.
3. Iconic Tamil music composer Manayangath Subramanian Viswanathan (MSV) died on 14 July 2015 following a brief illness. He was 87.