Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Mysuru city from Karnataka has been ranked first in terms of cleanliness for second time in row among the 73 surveyed cities in “Swachh Sarvekshan 2016”.
- Quality Council of India (QCI) has conducted the ranking as a part of ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’.
- Top 10 cities according to the ranking are Mysore (1st rank), Chandigarh (2nd), Tiruchirappalli (3rd), Delhi (4th), Visakhapatnam (5th), Surat (6th), Rajkot (7th) and Gangtok (8th), Pimpri-Chinchwad (9th) and Greater Mumbai (10th).
2. India’s first indigenously developed lightest revolver (gun) “Nidar” was successfully launched.
- Its weight is only 250 grams.
- The state-run Rifle Factory Ishapore (West Bengal) has manufactured it under “Make in India” initiative.
- It is much lighter than ‘Nirbheek’ (500 grams) revolver.
- It has cylinder capacity of eight bullets.
International – Across the Globe:
1. LAMITYE 2016, the 7th edition of India, Seychelles joint military exercise has begun in Victoria, Seychelles.
- It’s a fourteen day exercise which has been conducted at Seychelles Defence Academy (SDA), Victoria till February 28, 2016.
- Indian Army contingent will comprise an infantry platoon and representatives from the Special Forces.
2. The first long distance cargo train connecting Iran and China has arrived in the Iranian capital city Tehran after starting its journey from China.
- It has started its journey from China’s eastern Zhejiang province and it took 14 days to reach final destination.
- It had covered around 9,500-kilometre distance and passed through two Central Asian countries Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Tiruchirapalli city in Tamil Nadu has won “best city performer” in Behavioral change Communication Award.
- Trichy city commissioner Vijayalakshmi received the award from Union Minister of urban Development Venkaiah Naidu in the Swach Sarvekshan function.
- The city has shown the way in cleanliness and hygiene.
- The city has ranked third in clean city award and is among the 15 leader cities along with Mysuru (1st), Chandigarh (2nd) and New Delhi (4th).
2. The Infosys Prizes has been conferred to six winners for their outstanding contribution in the research fields in New Delhi for the year 2015, by President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Infosys Prize is an annual award bestowed upon researchers, scientists, social scientists and engineers in India by the Infosys Science Foundation (ISF).
- The winners are: -
Umesh Waghmare (Engineering and Computer Science category)
Mahan Maharaj (Mathematical Sciences category)
Amit Sharma (Life Sciences category)
Ravindra Kumar (Physical Sciences category)
Srinath Raghavan (Social Sciences category)
MoU & Mergers:
1. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Technical Cooperation in Rail Sector has been signed between Union Ministry of Railways and Ministry of Enterprise & Innovation of Sweden.
- This is to develop cooperation activities in the Railway sector to promote efficiency and sustainability and to achieve concrete results with regard to bilateral trade, research, investment and technology transfer.
- It will remain in force for 5 years and can be extended for a further period of 5 years with the written consent of both sides.
Science & Technology:
1. Indigenously developed Prithvi-II missile was successfully test fired from the Chandipur, off Odisha coast.
- It’s the first missile to be developed by DRDO under India’s prestigious IGMDP (Integrated Guided Missile Development Program).
- It is surface-to-surface medium range ballistic missile with a strike range of 350 km. and capacity of carrying 500 kg to 1000 kg of warheads.
- It was conducted by the Strategic Force Command (SFC) and was monitored by the scientists from Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
2. A Non-Tax Receipt Portal (NTRP) has been launched Union Government to electronically collect non-tax receipts.
- The non-tax revenues mainly includes dividends, spectrum charges, interest receipts, royalty, licence fee, sale of forms and application fees under the RTI Act.
- It was launched by Union Finance minister Arun Jaitley as part of Union Government’s flagship Digital India campaign.
- Union Finance minister Arun Jaitley launched it as part of Union Government’s flagship Digital India campaign.
- It has been developed by the Office of Controller General of Accounts (CGA) and the Union Finance Ministry.
3. State-run Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has commissioned a 101 MW (Mega Watt) gas-based Combined Cycle Power Plant (CCPP) at Monarchak (near Agartala) in Tripura.
- It was commissioned on basis of Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) based on the order placed by North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited (NEEPCO).
- State-run Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) will be supplying the gas for the project.
1. The International Cricket Council (ICC) Cricket for Good anThe International Cricket Council (ICC) Cricket for Good and United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) in partnership with BCCI on 15 February 2016 launched the Team Swachh clinics during the ICC WT20 Host City Tour.
- The clinics were launched at the HPCA Stadium in Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh.
- The step was taken to promote a nationwide initiative that aims to build a social movement for sanitation and toilet use there by leading to an open-defecation-free India.
1. Rajamani the Popular music director and composer passed away due to cardiac arrest in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He was 60.
- He was born into a family of Carnatic musicians and was the son of noted musician BA Chidambaranath.
- Her had worked in Malayalam film industry and had composed music for around 70 films.
- He made his first independent venture as composer and music director in Tamil film Gramathu Kiligal (1983) and followed by Kalloori Kanavugal (1983).