1. Commerce Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will lead an Indian delegation for the St Petersburg International Economic Forum (SPIEF) 2015, to be held at St Petersburg between 18th – 20th June. She will address the Russia-India Business Roundtable, where Alexey Ulyukaev, minister for economic development of the Russian Federation, will also be a speaker.
2. Indian Railways has named Haridwar Mail as Yoga Express with an immediate effect.
3. State owned telecommunications giant Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has launched free pan India roaming scheme.
4. Union Government has launched an Indian Nuclear Insurance Pool (INIP) of 1,500 crore rupees as per the mandatory provision under the Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage Act (CLND), 2010.
5. Bibek Debroy Committee on the restructuring of Indian Railways has submitted its final report to the Union Ministry of Railways.
6. Telangana government has unveiled New Industrial Policy 2015 to boost industrial activity and employment opportunities in the state.
7. Migrant Resource Centre (MRC) was set up in Chennai by the Union Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) and Tamil Nadu state government.
8. Bengaluru to host ATP Challenger. A $50,000 ATP Challenger men’s tennis tournament is set to be held here in October, the first for the city in 12 years. Matches will be held at the KSLTA stadium courts from October 19 to 25, with India’s top singles players expected to compete. The tournament is likely to see a few world top-100 players in action.
9. A book on Prime Minister Narendra Modi titled Modi –Incredible emergence of a star written in Chinese language by Tarun Vijay was in news on 16 June 2015 as one copy of the book was given to Vice-President M Hamid Ansari.
10. Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) in June 2015 set up a Micro Air Vehicle Aerodynamics Research Tunnel (MART) at the CSIR-National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) campus, Bengaluru.
11. Ministry of Railways on 12 June 2015 decided to run Suvidha trains with dynamic fares from July 2015. The decision to run Suvidha trains was taken to address the rush during peak travel seasons.
1. Delhi Law Minister Kapil Mishra is appointed as the Chairman of the Delhi Jal Board (DJB). He succeeded Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia.
2. Retail broking firm HDFC Securities has appointed Dhiraj Relli as its Managing Director and CEO.
Relli takes over this position from Aseem Dhru, who returns to HDFC Bank as Group Head – Business Banking, Rural, Commodity and Agri-lending businesses.
3. Mogens Lykketoft from Denmark was unanimously elected as President of United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
1. Indian off-spin cricketer Harbhajan Singh became the ninth all-time highest Test wicket-takers by claiming 416 wickets in 102 matches.
In this process, he surpassed Pakistani legend Wasim Akram who stood at the ninth position with 414 wickets in 104 matches. He achieved the landmark quicker than Akram. He achieved the feat after dismissing Imrul Kayes for 72 to reach 415 Test victims, one more than Akram.
2. India’s tennis player Rohan Bopanna along with his Romanian partner Florin Mergea has won the ATP’s Stuttgart Open final doubles trophy in Germany.
3. Spaniard Rafael Nadal on 14 June 2015 won the singles final of the ATP’s Stuttgart Open.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Online marketplace Snapdeal.com on 15 June 2015 acquired Letsgomo Labs, a mobility solutions company for an undisclosed sum. With this acquisition, Snapdeal will strengthen its position in mobile commerce as online consumers in India are increasingly choosing to shop over their phones.
2. Metal and mining giant Vedanta Ltd and its subsidiary oil explorer Cairn India have announced to merge.
3. PC maker Dell and IT services and distribution company HCL Infosystems on Tuesday announced a strategic distribution partnership.
Under the new partnership, HCL Infosystems will leverage its pan-India network of partners to distribute Dell’s entire hardware and software products, both the companies’ said in a press release.
4. Aequs Pvt Ltd, a Karnataka-based aerospace component manufacturer, on 14 June 2015 acquired Paris-based aerospace component maker T&K Machine Inc for an undisclosed amount.
Science & Technology:
1. Union Minister for Communications Ravi Shankar Prasad launched half-an-hour free Wi-Fi Internet facility in the Taj Mahal complex. BSNL has made special arrangements to introduce the facility with support from Quadgen, a Bengaluru-based company.
2. Indian mobile handset maker Karbonn on 15 June 2015 announced that it is planning to set up its first mobile handset manufacturing facility in Hyderabad.
3. Union Government has launched Augmented Reality technology based mobile application named ‘Sakaar’ to highlight the achievements of the Department of Space.
About Augmented Reality Technology
Augmented Reality (AR) technology is computer-generated 3D models, animations, videos that augments (or supplements) the live direct view of a physical, real-world environment. With the help of device’s camera the real time augmentation and information is overlaying takes place which enhances user’s current perception. Essentially AR requires three basic elements for its functioning. They are AR application, AR Markers and Android OS enabled mobile with back camera.
1. An Egyptian court has sentenced ousted Islamist President Mohammed Morsi to life in prison and confirmed death sentences against 16 others over charges of conspiring with foreign groups, including the Palestinian militant group Hamas.
2. United Kingdom (UK) celebrated 800 years of signing of Magna Carta on 15 June 2015.
3. As per recently released report by British Petroleum (BP) Energy Company, United States (US) became the world’s largest oil producer in 2014 surpassing Saudi Arabia.
About Magna Carta
1. Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflows into the services sector grew by over 46 per cent to 3.25 billion dollars in 2014-15 fiscal. It was revealed by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP).
2. Lakshmi Vilas Bank raises deposit rates by 1 percentage point up to 6 percentage.
1. Former Himachal Pradesh governor and ex-union minister Sheila Kaul passed away in New Delhi. She was 101.
1. World Blood Donor Day is being observed across the world on 14th June to raise the public awareness about the need for safe blood donation.