Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. BJP president Amit Shah launched the “Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana” giving cooking gas connections to poor tribal families in Dahod district of Gujarat.
Mr. Shah termed the new initiative a right tool for women empowerment as with gas connections, women will no longer be dependent on firewood and kerosene for cooking.
The new beneficiaries enrolled for the scheme from Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan were given the gas connection documents by Mr. Shah, Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and the Chief Ministers.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The US, Pakistan, Afghanistan and China will meet in Islamabad on May 18 to discuss a roadmap for negotiating a peace deal with the Afghan Taliban to end the 15-year insurgency, amid a surge in violence in the war-torn country.
It would be the first meeting since the Quadrilateral Coordination Group (QCG) met in Kabul on February 23 and announced talks would start in the first week of March, but the process could not begin as Taliban refused to join.
According to the official sources special envoys of China and the US and senior officials of Pakistan and Afghanistan were expected to attend the meeting schedule on May 18 in Islamabad.
1. Andy Murray (World No.3) from Britain has won the 2016 Italian Open title of Tennis in the men’s singles category.
It was his first Italian Open title.
In the final match played in Rome, Andy Murray defeated Novak Djokovic (World No.1) for the first time on the clay court by 6-3, 6-3 score.
The Italian Open is an annual tennis tournament held in Rome, Italy. It is also known as the Rome Masters and the Italian Championships.
2. Red Bull F1 driver Max Verstappen from Netherlands created history by becoming Formula One’s youngest race winner.
He achieved this feat after winning the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix, which was his debut race for Red Bull at the age of 18.
He was able to win the Spanish Grand Prix by maintaining lead position after Mercedes teammates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Roseberg crashed into each other in the 1st lap of race.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Anjali Chandrashekar, an Indian artist, has won the third prize in UN Poster for Peace contest presented by the UN Office for Disarmament Affairs (ODA) to raise awareness of the need for nuclear disarmament.
Her poster titled ‘Cutting Barriers through Peace’ featured a peace dove slicing through a nuclear weapon.
The first prize was won by Ivan Ciro Palomino Huamani from Peru for his poster titled ‘Spinning Peace’.
His poster featured a nuclear weapon being unravelled into string which is then used to fly kites and balloons, and to jump rope.
2. Former ISRO Chairman and space scientist Prof Udupi Ramachandra Rao became the first Indian to be given ‘Hall of Fame’ Award by the International Astronautical Federation (IAF).
Mr. Rao has been selected for the prestigious award for his outstanding contribution to the progress of astronautics within the framework of the IAF activities.
He will receive the award at the 67th International Astronautical Congress to be held in Guadalajara, Mexico in September 2016.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Former Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court, Justice Mukul Mudgal has been appointed as Deputy Chairman of FIFA Governance Committee.
While former European Court of Justice Advocate General Luis Miguel Maduro from Portugal was appointed as Chairman of FIFA’s governance committee.
They were appointed by newly elected FIFA President Gianni Infantino after 66th FIFA Congress held in Mexico City selected them.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Income Declaration Scheme 2016 or four month window for declaration of domestic black money shall come into effect from 1st June 2016.
The window provides an opportunity to all persons who have not declared income correctly in earlier years to come forward and declare their undisclosed incomes.
The declared income would be taxed at the rate of 30 per cent plus ‘Krishi Kalyan’ cess of 25 per cent on taxes payable and a penalty at the rate of 25 per cent of the taxes payable.
Thus the total tax to be paid will be 45% of the income declared under the scheme.
Science & Technology:
1. Indigenously developed Advanced Air Defence (AAD) interceptor missile, Ashwin was successfully test fired.
The test was the twelfth test of interceptor missiles fired from a warship in the Bay of Bengal.
Of the 11 tests held earlier, 9 were successful.
The interceptor missile was test fired from the complex of Abdul Kalam Island (formerly known as Wheeler Island) in Balasore district off Odisha coast.
2. China has successfully launched Yaogan-30 remote-sensing satellite into sun-synchronous orbit (SSO) using the Long March-2D rocket.
The rocket was launched from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center located in Gobi desert in northwest China’s Gansu Province.
It was the 227th flight of the Long March rocket series and was also the second orbital launch from the Jiuquan Satellite launch Center in 2016.
1. The Government of India has declared 16th May as National Dengue Day.
It is celebrated to mark the toll the deadly disease has been taking in terms of lives and to reaffirm nationwide efforts to tackle the scourge by using both education and medical intervention.
The decision was taken because Dengue disease burden has shown an increase in recent years in the country and in Nagaland with more frequency of outbreaks during the monsoon and post monsoon season.