Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. India ranked 118th out of 157 countries on the United Nations’ World Happiness Index (WHI) 2016.
It was declared by the fourth World Happiness Report 2016 published by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), a global initiative for the UN.
World Happiness Report aims at influencing government policy and is prepared on the basis of study undertaken by Gallup World Poll.
Top 10 countries in the list are Denmark (1st), Switzerland (2nd), Iceland (3rd), Norway (4th) and Finland (5th), Canada (6th), Netherlands (7th), New Zealand (8th), Australia (9th) and Sweden (10th).
2. The India Aviation 2016, an international exhibition and conference on civil aviation kicked off in Hyderabad, Telangana.
It is the fifth edition in the biennial series of this international exhibition and was inaugurated by President Pranab Mukherjee at the Begumpet Airport (also known as Hyderabad Old Airport).
It has been jointly organised by Ministry of Civil Aviation and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) on the lines of Make in India.
3. The largest fair on Food and Hospitality Sector in India, AAHAR 2016 has kicked off at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
It is the 31st edition in this series of the fair and was inaugurated by Union Minister for Food Processing Industries Harsimrat Kaur Badal.
It is largest show of its kind in South Asia. It is organized by India Trade Promotion Organization (ITPO) under aegis of Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
It will cover two separate but concurrent exhibitions Hospitality India to cover Hotel & Restaurant Equipment and Supplies and Food India to cover Foods, Processed Foods, Food Processing and Beverages.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. President Barack Obama has nominated veteran appeals court judge Merrick Garland (63) to be the next US Supreme Court Justice.
His nomination comes to vacancy in the US Supreme Court which was created after the death of SC Justice Antonin Scalia.
He is highly regarded by the legal fraternity and lawmakers.
2. Bangladesh Government has appointed Former Secretary of Finance Division Fazle Kabir as the new Governor of Bangladesh Bank, country’s central bank.
He will succeeds Atiur Rahman who had resigned after taking moral responsibility over the cyber theft from the central bank’s official account with New York Federal Reserve Bank.
He was appointed finance secretary in 2012.
He had also served on the board of state-owned Janata Bank.
1. Ustad Ali Ahmad Hussain Khan, an eminent Shehnai exponent passed away following prolonged illness in Kolkatta, West Bengal. He was 77.
He was one of the best-known players of the instrument after the legendary Bismillah Khan.
Ustad Ali Ahmad Hussain Khan was famously known for his innovative style and mastery over the classical and semi-classical and folk music repertoire.
He had received the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (2009) and Bangabhushan award (2012) of West Bengal government etc.