Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry soon going to unveil a new education policy.
They had prepared a document with the help of experts, including advice by education councils, to improve our education system and will be unveiled in 15-20 days.
The government had invited industry leaders to partner in these institutes and that private players have already invested over Rs. 140 crore in setting them up.
The main aim of the Ministry is to ensure that universities are not used as tool for political purposes and remain temples of learning.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Pakistan’s powerful Army chief Gen Raheel Sharif met top Chinese leaders and military officials here and discussed ways to enhance bilateral economic and security ties.
This meeting is to enhance bilateral economic and security ties.
Sharif’s visit to Beijing comes in the backdrop of assertions by Pakistan that it will raise its concerns at the international level over India’s successful test of supersonic interceptor missile.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Han Kang, a South Korean author, has won the 2016 Man Booker International Prize for her novel “The Vegetarian”.
By getting this award, Han becomes the first South Korean to win this prestigious literary prize.
The prize includes 72000 dollar money that will be shared by the writer and her British translator Deborah Smith.
“The Vegetarian” tells a story of a wife nemed “Yeong-hye, lead character”, who decides to become a vegetarian.
Man Booker International Prize is an international literary award that is given to a living author of any nationality for a body of work published in English or generally available in English translation.
2. Four Indian peacekeepers and a civilian have been chosen posthumously for United Nation’s Dag Hammarskjold Medal for their courage and sacrifice.
They are among the 124 police, military and civilian personnel who have been posthumously awarded a prestigious UN medal.
They will be honoured on the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers (observed annually on 29 May).
Five Indians are Head Constable Shubhkaran Yadav, Rifleman Manish Malik, Havildar Amal Deka, Naik Rakesh Kumar, Gagan Punjabi.
The award is given posthumously to members of peacekeeping operations who lost their lives during service with a peacekeeping operation under the control and authority of the UN.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Justice Deepak Gupta has sworn-in as the new Chief Justice (CJ) of the Chhattisgarh High Court.
He was administered the oath of office as per by Chhattisgarh Governor Balram Das Tandon at Raj Bhawan in Raipur as per the provisions of the Article 219 of Constitution
Justice Deepak Gupta was transferred from Tripura High Court by President Pranab Mukherjee as per provisions Article 222 of Constitution.
He was transferred by President following recommendation of the Supreme Court collegium headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) T.S. Thakur.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. After over five years of hiatus, associate banks of SBI including State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur have proposed to merger with the parent lender.
The respective boards have proposed merger with the State Bank of India (SBI) in a meeting.
The country’s largest lender has five associate banks – State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, State Bank of Travancore, State Bank of Patiala, State Bank of Mysore and State Bank of Hyderabad.
Among these, State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, State Bank of Mysore and State Bank of Travancore are listed.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and United States (US) held their first Maritime Security Dialogue in New Delhi for deepening the evolving partnership in the maritime domain between both countries.
The first round of discussions under the recently-constituted dialogue was held between officials of India’s Defence and External Affairs Ministries and their US counterparts.
Both sides discussed various issues including naval cooperation, Asia-Pacific maritime challenges and multilateral engagement.
They agreed to include the conclusion of a white shipping technical arrangement to improve data sharing on commercial shipping traffic.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The World Bank Board announced it had approved a loan worth $625 million for the government’s initiative for rooftop solar power generation.
The Board also approved a co-financing loan of $120 million on concessional terms and a $5 million grant from the Climate Investment Fund’s Clean Technology Fund.
The project will finance the installation of at least 400 MW of Grid Connected Rooftop Solar Photovoltaic (GRPV) across India.