National – Across the India:
1. The Indian Army conducted major battle exercise named as ‘Shatrujeet’ in the Thar Desert of Rajasthan near to the border with Pakistan.
The sole purpose of the exercise was to evaluate the capability of the Indian Army and fine tune its proactive war strategy to respond swiftly to any threat to nation’s security.
The 2016 Shatrujeet battle exercise was steered by the Mathura based 1 Corps, one of the three principle strike corps of the Indian Army.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The European Parliament has approved creation of a European passenger name records (PNR) system to combat terrorism.
The proposal in this regard was passed by 461 votes to 179 against. Now the EU member countries will have two years to turn it into national law.
PNR is a joint system for security agencies to access airline passenger data on all flights to and from the EU.
It will enable police and justice officials to systematically store the data of airline passengers travelling to, from and within the EU.
2. The federal grand jury in the US State of Wisconsin has slapped 940 million US dollars fine against two companies of India’s Tata group – Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) and Tata America International Corp.
They were fined in a trade secret lawsuit filed against them by the US based electronics medical records vendor Epic Systems.
The jury verdict has directed two companies of India’s Tata group to pay 240 million dollars to Epic Systems for ripping off its software and pay 700 million dollars in punitive damages.
3. The BRICS New Development Bank (NDB) has approved its first package of loans worth 811 million dollars for four renewable energy projects in Brazil, China, South Africa and India.
The decision to approve the first loans was approved by the NDB board of governors on the sidelines of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank spring meetings in Washington DC, US.
The New Development Bank is a multilateral bank created by BRICS Nations viz. Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
1. Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg from Germany has won the 2016 Chinese Grand Prix held at the Shanghai International Circuit.
Chinese Grand Prix title race was the third race of the 2016 season of Formula One in which total 11 teams had participated.
the 2016 season.
2. Veteran Sri Lankan left-arm spinner Rangana Herath (38) has announced his retirement from T20 and One Day International Cricket (ODI).
However he will continue to play in Test matches which always have been his personal passion.
He took the decision of retiring from T20 and ODIs in order to make room for fresh talent to be groomed for the 2019 World Cup.
3. Australia has won the 25th edition of Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament 2016 for record ninth time.
In the final match played at Ipoh, Australia defeated India by 4-0 goals.
India settled at the second position and was followed by New Zealand (defending champion) at the third position.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India, Afghanistan and Iran have finalized draft of the Chabahar Trilateral Agreement on Transport and Transit Corridors.
The text of the draft was finalized at the second technical meeting of experts from the three countries in New Delhi.
The agreement will be signed after completing necessary internal procedures in the three countries.
1. Renowned Malian photographer Malick Sidibe passed away in Bamako, Mali due to diabetics. He was 80.
He was known for his black and white studio portraits that captured popular cultural lives of young Malians in the 1960s and 1970s
His photography work was published by the number of publications and was exhibited throughout Europe and in the United States.