Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Start-up India initiative to augment startup ecosystem in the country. The initiative was launched in New Delhi.
On this occasion, the Prime Minister also unveiled Start-up India, Stand-up India Action Plan which contained a slew of financial, policy and regulatory measures aimed at giving impetus to innovation and entrepreneurship in the country.
1. World No. 22 Viktor Troicki from Serbia has won the 2016 WTA Apia International title of Tennis in the men’s single category.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Madhya Pradesh has been conferred the Union Government’s prestigious Krishi Karman Award in maximum food grains production category for year 2014-15 for the 4th consecutive year.
2. Indian author Anuradha Roy won the prestigious DSC Prize for South Asian Literature for her novel Sleeping on Jupiter at the Galle Literary Festival in Sri Lanka.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. India’s Dinesh Sharma has been elected to the board of directors of the China-sponsored Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
2. Opposition candidate of Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Tsai Ing-wen won a landslide victory in Taiwan’s presidential election, making her the island’s first female president.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Goa Legislative Assembly approved reclassification of coconut tree as palm. The reclassification was approved by the legislature through the passage of the Goa Preservation of Trees (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
The bill seeks to omit the Section 1-A of the Goa, Daman and Diu Preservation of Trees Act, 1984. The section, which was inserted through an amendment in 2008, included coconut under the definition of tree.
Science & Technology:
1. Chinese scientists have developed a new bio-artificial liver that can help patients to survive from liver failure long enough for an organ transplant.
It has been developed by team of researchers from the Shanghai Institute for Biological Sciences and doctors from Nanjing Drum Tower Hospital.
2. A mosquito-borne virus called Zinka was found in the US.
The disease caused by this virus is not fatal and lasts up to a week, but it was identified that there is a possible link between the virus and a birth defect called microcephaly that causes babies to be born with abnormally small heads and potential developmental problems.
1. Noted filmmaker Anil Ganguly passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra after a brief illness. He was 82.
2. Former Sikkim Governor and senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Ventrapragada Rama Rao passed away in Hyderabad, Telangana following an illness. He was 81.
3. Renowned Kannada filmmaker and lyricist Geethapriya passed away after a battle with throat cancer in Bengaluru, Karnataka. He was 84.