Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Union Government has opened a special Tatkal like window to expedite examination process of patent applications by start-ups as well as of entities choosing India for filing the first patent.
The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has as amended patent rules.
Union Government is aiming to reduce the time frame for the grant of patents to 18 months from the present 5-7 years by March 2018.
2. Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) Wildlife Department for the first time has sighted group of eight Himalayan brown bears in Kargil’s Drass Sector after 1999 India-Pakistan War.
The eight Himalayan brown bears (three adult females and five grown-up cubs) were sighted in the mountain ranges of Ladakh’s Drass area at altitude 16,000 to 21,000 feet.
The sighting is considered as rare record as their natural habitats in Kargil’s Drass Sector were damaged during the 1999 war due to heavy artillery shelling for almost three months.
International – Across the Globe:
1. China rejected US claims that its fighter jets maneuvered unsafely when they intercepted an American Navy reconnaissance plane over the South China Sea, and demanded that the US end such missions close to the Chinese territory.
The Chinese jets monitored the US plane from an acceptable distance and operated in a safe and professional manner, foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei told journalists at a regularly scheduled news briefing.
According to Pentagon two Chinese J-11 fighters flew within about 15 meters (50 feet) of the US EP-3 Aries aircraft on Tuesday, forcing the US pilot to descend sharply to avoid a collision.
1. Indian women’s badminton team assured a bronze medal after notching up a comfortable 3-1 win over Thailand in the quarterfinals of the Uber Cup on Thursday.
The Indian women’s team had created history in the last edition when it clinched a historic bronze in New Delhi after losing to Japan in the semifinals.
India is likely to take on China in the semifinals on Friday.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Turkey’s governing party on Thursday formally tapped Binali Yildirim as its candidate to lead the party and become the country’s next premier.
Yildirim is Turkey’s minister of transport, maritime and communication as well as as founding member of the AKP.
He will run unopposed for the party leadership at a special convention on Sunday in Ankara.
Traditionally, the post of premier in Turkey goes to the leader of the largest party in parliament.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The country’s largest lender, State Bank of India (SBI) has decided to merge its five associate public sector banks (PSBs) and the Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) with itself.
SBI has informed the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) that it is seeking in-principle approval for acquisition from the Union Government.
5 subsidiary banks are: -
State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur
State Bank of Hyderabad
State Bank of MysorE
State Bank of Patiala
State Bank of Travancore.
Science & Technology:
1. The world’s first robot lawyer named ‘ROSS’ has been employed by a US law firm BakerHostetler.
The first of its kind artificial intelligence (AI) lawyer will assist the law firm and its various teams in legal research.
The robot was built by the company ROSS Intelligence and its working is based on cognitive computing.
The project had started in 2014 out of research at the University of Toronto to build an artificial intelligence legal research assistant to allow lawyers to enhance and scale their abilities.
The ROSS started functioning with first ten months after they began teaching it bankruptcy law.
2. Scientists from the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) have developed world’s first genetically engineered clone of the Zika virus strain.
They have dubbed it as infectious complementary DNA (cDNA) clone.
It allows researchers to make Zika virus from test tube and cells on petri dishes.
The clone comprises of five fragments of complete zika viral genome which were individually cloned and assembled into the full-length Zika virus clone.
It will help scientists to quickly develop countermeasures and also to explore evolution of Zika virus and how it spread more quickly.
3. HDFC Bank, India’s second-largest private sector lender HDFC Bank has launched SmartUp, a dedicated solution for startups to fulfil all their banking needs.
It was launched in association with a Mumbai-based start-up accelerator Zone Startups India (ZSI).
SmartUp is tailored to meet all the requirements of a startup. It is a complete banking solution meant for startups.
It will be offering banking and payment solutions, along with forex and advisory services to startups.