Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Government has constituted a committee to consider Scheduled Tribe status to six Communities of Assam.
These six Communities are Koch Rajbongshi, Moran, Matak, Tai Ahom, Chutia and Adivasi (Tea Tribes).
It will be headed by Mahesh Kumar Singla, Special Secretary (Internal Security) Ministry of Home Affairs.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The 7th edition of India, Seychelles joint military exercise LAMITYE 2016 concluded in Victoria, Mahe Island, Seychelles.
The fourteen day exercise was conducted at Seychelles Defence Academy (SDA), Victoria from February 15 to 28, 2016.
The aim of joint bilateral military exercise was to improve interoperability between armies of both countries in jointly fighting Counter Terrorism/ Counter Insurgency.
1. Car racer Armaan Ebrahim was awarded the Motorsports Man-of-the-Year Trophy at ceremony organised by the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI).
Ebrahim was presented with the Raymond Gautam Singhania Rolling Trophy and cash prize of 2 lakh rupees for his performance in the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo Asia Series.
On the other hand, I. Chandhok received the Lifetime Achievement Award for his contribution to motorsports in the country.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) has won three international awards for 2015 year given by the Airports Council International (ACI).
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Former Chief Justice of India (CJI) HL Dattu took charge as the Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
With this, he becomes the seventh Chairman of the NHRC, highest government institution protecting human rights of citizens.
2. Slovenian high-jumper Rozle Prezelj (36) has been elected the new chairman of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Athletes’ Commission.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The MS Swaminathan Research Foundation has signed a MOU with Bhubaneswar-based Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS) to establish a Research Chair.
The Chair will be named after MS Swaminathan, father of Indian Green Revolution for promoting knowledge and skill for empowerment for less privileged children in India.
This is the first-ever initiative of the MS Swaminathan Research Foundation to establish a Research Chair in any private institute in the country.
Science & Technology:
1. Researchers from France have found first evidence that mosquito-borne Zika virus might cause a severe neurological disorder called Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS).
GBS is a rare condition in which the body’s immune system attacks a part of the nervous system that controls muscle strength leading to muscle weakness in the legs and arms.
The study was carried out using blood samples from 42 patients who became ill in a previous outbreak of virus.
It was found that patients developed the neurological problems around six days after Zika infection making the virus main culprit of severe neurological disorder.
1. Legendary Tamil Comedian Kumarimuthu passed away in Chennai, Tamil Nadu due to some age-related ailments. He was 77.
He was known for his comic roles and had starred in nearly 50 films in his career spanning over three-decades. He was best known for his signature laugh.
2. US actor George Kennedy passed away in the city of Boise, Idaho. He was 91.