Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Ruling All India Trinamool Congress Party (TMC) under the leadership of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has emerged victorious in the 2016 West Bengal Assembly Election.
TMC has won 211 seats i.e. two-third seats of total 295 seats. Coalition of Indian National Congress (INC) and Left combine has won 76 seats emerging as largest opposition front.
West Bengal Chief Minister and TMC Supremo Mamta Banerjee has won from Bhabanipur Assembly Constituency.
2. The Union Government has launched the Centre for Environmental Health in New Delhi to assess the impact of environment-related problems on health.
The centre was launched by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda on in New Delhi.
Its mandate is capacity-building, advocacy, outreach and remedial issues.
International – Across the Globe:
1. As China’s strongest critic Tsai Ing-wen assumed power in Taiwan and pledged democracy and close ties with the US, a wary BEIJING warned her against seeking independence and said the ‘One-China policy’ remained the corner-stone of its relations with other countries.
Tsaitook the oath as the new President of Taiwan in Taipei.
She is the head of the Democratic Progressive Party, which advocates Taiwan’s independence from the mainland.
1. World number one Novak Djokovic and nine-time champion Rafael Nadal have been seeded to meet in the French Open semi-finals after the draw was made on Friday.
Djokovic needs a Roland Garros title to complete a career Grand Slam after losing three finals in four years including last season to Stan Wawrinka .
Fourth seed Wawrinka is scheduled to take on second seed Andy Murray in the other semi-final.
Awards & Recognition:
1. An Indian-American biotechnologist Rupa Iyer has been awarded Distinguished Leadership in Teaching Excellence Award, University of Houston’s highest teaching award.
She was bestowed with this award for her sustained and significant contributions in the field of education.
Presently, she is Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies at the University of Houston’s College of Technology.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Slovenia have signed a protocol to amend the bilateral Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA).
The protocol was signed by Ambassador of India to Slovenia Sarvajit Chakravarti and the Slovenian Minister of Finance Dusan Mramor in Ljubljana.
The amendment protocol seeks to broaden the pact to include exchange of information to curb tax evasion.
The protocol will broaden the scope of the existing framework of exchange of tax-related information.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. British bank HSBC has said that it will almost halve its branch network in India from 50 to 26 following its decision to shut down its private banking business targeted at the rich.
The branch rationalization would result in HSBC losing its tag of foreign bank with second largest branch network to Citibank, which has 45 branches.
RBI governor Raghuram Rajan had said earlier last week that foreign banks are not expanding their presence in India as they need to set aside more capital in keeping with the higher risk weight
Science & Technology:
1. President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated an Intelligent Operations Centre (IOC) in Rashtrapati Bhavan.
He also launched a mobile application ‘Monitor’ for transformation of President’s Estate into a smart township.
During the launching ceremony President announced that President’s Estate will work around the ‘4H’ theme of a humane, Hi-Tech, Heritage and Happy Township.
Intelligent Operations Centre (IOC) is a software solution to provide intelligent insights by collecting the rich data streaming in from several sources within the Estate. It is designed by IBM.