1. A new species of Gecko, a type of lizard usually found in warm climates was spotted by researchers from the Osmania University in Hyderabad. It was spotted at the ruins of the World Heritage Site of Hampi in Karnataka. The gecko was named as Cnemaspis adii after a young herpetology researcher from Hyderabad, Aditya Srinivasulu.
2. Nasim Zaidi assumed the charge as Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India. He succeeded Hari Shankar Brahma.
3. Communist Party of India (Marxist) CPI (M) unanimously elected Sitaram Yechury as the general secretary of the party. He is the fifth general secretary of the party. He succeeded Prakash Karat, who was the General Secretary of the party from 2005 to April 2015.
4. India and South Korea held high level defence talks in Seoul. The talks were held on the sidelines of four day visit of Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to South Korea. The meeting was held with South Korean Defence Minister Han Min-koo at the Ministry of Defence of Korea in Seoul.
1. The 13th UN Congress on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice was held from 12th April 2015 to 19th April 2015 at Qatar National Convention Centre in Doha, Qatar. The Summit concluded with the adoption of Doha Declaration.
2. Finland’s opposition Centre Party led by Juha Sipila won the General Election. Centre party, the advocates of wage freeze and spending cuts to regain Finland’s competitiveness, defeated the centre-right National Coalition party of incumbent Prime Minister Alexander Stubb.
1. Archana Girish Kamath and Anezka Ilcikova, the Indo-Czech Republic pair won the cadet girls’ doubles table tennis title at the French junior and cadet open in Metz, France. In the title clash, Archana and Anezka defeated the French pair of Lucie Gauthier and Leili Mostafavi 10-12, 7-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-5 and clinched the gold medal. 2015 French Junior & Cadet Open, ITTF Premium Junior Circuit was held at Metz, France from 15th April to 19th April 2015.
2. Former Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar appointed as chief adviser of the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BCCI) Anti-Corruption & Security Unit (ACSU). Neeraj Kumar succeeded Ravi Sawant.
3. Ankit Keshri, an East Bengal Club cricketer died on 20th April 2015 due to an injury sustained during a Cricket Association of Bengal’s senior one-day knock-out match. He was 20.
4. The Supreme Court of India (SC) appointed Vivek Priyadarshi to head the team probing the Indian Premiere League (IPL) scandal. The decision was taken by a SC bench headed by Justice TS Thakur.
1. Former Governor of Assam and three-time Chief Minister of Odisha Janaki Ballabh Patnaik died on 21st April 2015 in Tirupati. He was 89. Born on 3rd January 1927, in Rameshwar, Puri, Patnaik was a senior leader of Indian National Congress. He served Odisha as its Chief Minister from 1980 to 1989 and again from 1995 to 1999.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan and teen idol Zyan Malik were honoured at the 5th Asian Awards held at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London. Khan was awarded with the prestigious Outstanding Contribution to Cinema award. The 49-year-old actor received the award by Indian-origin British filmmaker Gurinder Chadha.
1. Global Rating Agency Moody’s forecasted that Indian economy will grow at 7.5% in 2015. This growth rate is marginally higher compared with 7.2% in 2014.