Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
1. The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval to Policy on Promotion of City Compost.
This policy will help in circulating compost produced from city waste for the purpose of farming and agriculture.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Uttar Pradesh won its maiden Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy with a 38-run win over two-time champions Baroda in the final played at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal of the Union Ministry of Power for amendments in the Power Tariff Policy 2006.
The comprehensive amendments bring required changes for holistic view of the power sector and also to achieve the objectives of Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) with the focus on 4 Es.
These 4 Es are: Electricity for all, Environment for a sustainable future, Efficiency to ensure affordable tariffs, Ensure financial viability and Ease of doing business to attract investments.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Union Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and United Kingdom for Cooperation in the field Public Administration and Governance Reforms.
Under this MoU the co-operation will be in areas like sharing good governance practices in public administration, reducing bureaucracy in service delivery and user led service design.
2. The Union Cabinet has apprised of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and Kuwait Institute of Scientific Research (KISR) on cooperation in the exploration of outer space and use of outer space technology for peaceful purposes.
This MoU will enable cooperation between both countries for pursuing potential interest in both cooperative and commercial areas.
3. Union Government has signed 250 million dollars Financing Agreement with World Bank for Bihar Kosi Basin Development Project.
Science & Technology:
1. Cabinet committee on economic affairs (CCEA) has approved setting up over 5,000 Mega Watt of Grid-Connected Solar Photo Voltaic Power Projects on build, own and operate (BOOT) basis.
2. Researchers have discovered a new genus of tree hole-breeding frogs named Frankixalus in the forests of northeast India and bordering parts of China.
It was discovered by team of researchers led by Professor Sathyabhama Das Biju who is popularly known as the frogman of India.
The new genus has been named after Professor Franky Bossuyt of Brussel based Vrije Universiteit for his contribution in amphibian research.
Frog populations of this genus live in pools of water in the trunks of canopy trees especially in tree holes.
They live in low-resource environments which are common practice among frogs and tadpoles of these frogs eat their mother’s eggs for sustenance.
3. Scientists have discovered a new bird species named Himalayan Forest Thrush in northeastern India and adjacent parts of China.
It has been given scientific name Zoothera salimalii after ornithologist and naturalist Salim Ali who has made significant contributions to ornithology in India.
4. Japanese astronomers’ team discovered the second largest black hole in Milky Way.
They mapped high-velocity compact cloud called CO-0.40-0.22 with a mass 100000 times that of the Sun around 200 light years away from the centre of the Milky Way.
The research related to this was published in Astrophysical Journal Letters with the title ‘Signature of an Intermediate-Mass Black Hole in the Central Molecular Zone of Our Galaxy’.