1. United Nations Security Council (UNSC) unanimously adopted a resolution 2231 (2015) that establishes a monitoring system for Iran’s nuclear program.
This adoption of the resolution will clear path for removal of all nuclear-related sanctions against Iran. It also guarantees that the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will continue to verify Iran’s compliance with its nuclear-related commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
1. Global aircraft maker Boeing will build a big maintenance base in central China where 12 planes can be repaired simultaneously.
The aircraft repair center at Zhengzhou, capital city of central China’s Henan province, is expected to be put into use at the end of 2016.
A total of 12 Boeing 737 planes can be maintained at the same time in the centre.
1. France`s tennis legend Amelie Mauresmo was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame by the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP). She is a two-time Grand Slam winner viz. Australian Open (2006) and Wimbledon (2006).
2. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) today announced the venues in India that will host the men and women ICC World Twenty20 that will be hosted between Match 11 and April 3, 2016.
BCCI said that Bengaluru, Chennai, Dharamshala, Mohali, Mumbai, Nagpur and New Delhi will be the venues along with Kolkata, which will also host the final of the event.
3. Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on 20 July 2015 constituted a working group to study the verdict of the Supreme Court appointed RM Lodha Committee relating to the IPL 2013 scandal.
The four member group includes IPL chairman Rajiv Shukla, BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur, BCCI treasurer Anirudh Choudhury and former India captain Sourav Ganguly.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Pamarthy Shankar, a cartoonist working with the prominent Telugu Daily newspaper Sakshi, won the Grand Prix World Press Cartoon 2014 Award for sketching Nelson Mandela.
2. Film-maker Benoy Behl won the Best Documentary Producer award at Madrid International Film Festival. He was awarded for producing and directing a documentary film titledIndian Roots of Tibetan Buddhism.
1. The Union Railways Ministry and the Odisha Government signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for implementation of Dasapalla-Bolangir segment of Khurda Road-Bolangir New Broad Gauge Railway Line on cost sharing basis.
Science & Technology:
1. A new species of cyprinid freshwater fish named Puntius Dolichopterus has been discovered in Kerala’s Kayamkulam city.
It was discovered by Mathews Plamoottil, head of the department of zoology in Baby John Memorial Government College of Kollam district.
2. Union Government has launched National Career Counselling Portal in a bid to modernize all government-run employment exchanges.
The web portal will be a one-stop platform for both job providers and job seekers where registration can be done online. It will provide basic platform for searching and applying for jobs on the portal.
3. An indigenously designed and developed Visibility Measuring System DRISHTI was installed at the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport, New Delhi.
The system will be used for reporting the runway visual range, which is a critical parameter for safe landing and take-off of aircraft in poor visibility conditions.
4. Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) successfully tested India’s first indigenously designed and developed High Thrust cryogenic rocket engine generating a nominal thrust of 19 tons at ISRO Propulsion Complex, Mahendragiri.
The rocket was hot tested for duration of 800 seconds, which is approximately 25% more than the engine burn duration in flight.
The engine will be used for powering the Cryogenic stage (C25), the upper stage of the next generation GSLV Mk-III launch vehicle of ISRO, capable of launching four tonne class satellites.
1. Union Government has appointed Bhanu Pratap Sharma as Chairperson Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
2. Pankaj Munjal was appointed as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Hero Motors Group.