Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
1. The International Cricket Council (ICC) has suspended Bangladesh bowlers Taskin Ahmed and Arafat Sunny for bowling with an illegal action with an immediate effect.
They were suspended after independent assessments have found that their bowling actions of is illegal.
The assessments were performed at the ICC-accredited testing centre at the Sri Ramachandra University in Chennai.
2. Ace Indian shuttler HS Prannoy (World no 13) has won the prestigious 2016 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament in the men’s single category.
In the final match played at Basel, Switzerland, he defeated Marc Zwiebler (World no 7) of Germany 21-18, 21-15 score.
It was his second Grand Prix Gold title after the Indonesia Open Grand Prix Gold won in 2014.
3. Star Indian grappler Yogeshwar Dutt has won a Gold medal in the Asian Olympic Qualification tournament in the 65 kg freestyle category.
The match was held at Astana (Kazakhstan).
He defeated Katai Yeerlanbieke from China in the 65 kg freestyle category.
With this victory he secured an Olympic quota place for India.
He is second Indian wrestler after Narsingh Yadav to secure berth in the 74 kg freestyle category for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Tikka Shatrujit Singh, the royal scion of Kapurthala’s Ahluwalia dynasty, has been conferred with the prestigious Knight of the Legion of Honour by the French Government.
He was presented with this honour by the French ambassador to India Francois Richier in a ceremony held in New Delhi.
He was bestowed with this prestigious award for his extraordinary work in the exchanging the French lifestyle and Indian culture with each other.
The Legion d’Honneur (in English: Knight of the Legion) was instituted by famous French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte in 1802.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had conferred 2014-15 Krishi Karman Awards to various states in a ceremony held at New Delhi.
Krishi Karman awards are given to Best performer States for raising country’s food grain production.
The awards were presented in two different categories viz. Total foodgrain production and Individual Crops.
For Total Foodgrain Production 5 winning states were awarded, which are Madhya Pradessh, Himachal Pradessh, Odisha, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Pfizer India has appointed S Sridhar as the managing director (MD) of the company.
Prior to this appointment he was heading Pfizer’s anti-infective, cardio-vascular and ophthalmology business.
He also served as Chief Financial Officer (CFO), finance director of Diageo India of Pfizer India for a period of seven years.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The agreement between the European Union (EU) and Turkey to tackle the migrant crisis has formally come into effect.
Under this agreement, migrants arriving in Greece will be sent back to Turkey if their asylum claim is rejected.
According to this agreement all irregular migrants into Greece crossing from Turkey from 20 March 2016 will be sent back and migrants’ arrival will be individually assessed by the Greek authorities.
Science & Technology:
1. The tenth edition of World Wide Fund for Nature’s (WWF’s) Earth Hour was observed across the World on 19 March 2016 from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm local time.
Earth Hour is an annual global environmental event (movement) organized by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).
Earth Hour 2016 encouraged people to explore and adopt a cleaner and more sustainable lifestyle by embracing renewable energy solutions.
Earth Hour’s goal is to raise awareness for sustainable energy use and create a more environmentally sustainable lifestyle.
1. The world sparrow day was observed every year on March 20 to raise awareness of the house sparrow and other common birds to urban environments and threats to their populations.
The day was celebrated globally by carrying out different activities and events like awareness campaigns, art competitions and the sparrow processions.
World sparrow day is an international initiative by the Nature Forever Society (NFS) of India in collaboration with the Eco-Sys Action Foundation (France) and also numerous other national and international organisations across the world.
For the first time, the World Sparrow Day was organised in different parts of the world in 2010.
2. Every year 21st March is being observed as International Day of Forests to raise awareness of the importance of all types of forests and of trees outside forests.
The observance of the day is also used to communicate the vital role forests play in to sustain and protect us i.e. in environmental sustainability, food security and poverty eradication.
Theme for 2016 was “Forests and water”.
The theme highlights importance of forests as key factor to the planet’s supply of freshwater, which is essential for life. It also marks the joint celebration of the International Day of Forests and World Water Day (22nd March).