Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Union Government has renamed as Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM).
In this regard, the Union Finance Ministry has issued notification.
The renaming decision aims at proper management of Central government’s investments in equity and also its disinvestment proceeds in central public sector undertakings (PSUs).
International – Across the Globe:
1. According to FDI Intelligence Report India has replaced China as the top Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) destination by attracting $63 billion worth FDI projects in 2015.
FDI Intelligence is a division of international media company – The Financial Times Limited.
India was the highest-ranked country by capital investment in the year 2015, with 63 billion dollars-worth of FDI projects announced.
It was the biggest change in Greenfield FDI in 2015 was near tripling with an estimated 63 billion dollars.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Chad’s incumbent President, Idriss Deby has won a fifth term in office in a lopsided first-round victory.
In the 2016 election, Idriss Deby of Patriotic Salvation Movement (MPS) party secured the 61.56% of the vote in the first-round runoff.
Opposition leader Saleh Kebzabo finished at second position with 12.80% of the vote followed by Laokein Kourayo Mbaiherem with 10.60%.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. The Union Government has merged Rajiv Gandhi Khel Abhiyan (RGKA) with the Khelo India Programme for development of sports.
The RGKA was a centrally sponsored scheme launched by then Congress-led UPA government in 2014.
Union Government also has merged two other sport projects launched by then UPA regime viz. Urban Sports Infrastructure Scheme (USIS) and National Sports Talent Search Scheme (NSTSS) under Khelo India.
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Abhiyan (RGKA) was launched in place of erstwhile Panchayat Yuva Krida aur Khel Abhiyan (PYKKA).
RGKA aimed at constructing sports complexes in each block and exclusively both for indoor and outdoor in different sports discipline for 5 years.
Science & Technology:
1. Scientists from Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) have indigenously developed world’s lightest synthetic material called ‘silica aerogel’ or ‘blue air’.
It was developed by the team of scientist from ISRO’s e Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram.
Silica Aerogel is the lightest synthetic material ever made by man.
2. The Union Commerce and Industry Ministry has launched a new service Twitter Seva to address issues and grievances of startups, exporters and importers, and other stakeholders.
An institutionalized mechanism with a special Twitter cell has been created in the Ministry which is manned by a set of dedicated officers of the Ministry.
Twitter Seva will address various queries of startups in a time-bound manner.
1. Every year Earth Day is being observed on the 22nd April to build support for environmental protection around the world.
This year is 46th anniversary of Earth Day.
It recognizes that Earth and its ecosystems provide its inhabitants with life and sustenance.
It also aims to raise awareness that humans have a collective responsibility to promote harmony with nature and to balance the economic, social and environmental needs of present and future generations.
2016 Theme for the day was ‘Trees for the Earth!’
The theme signifies that trees are crucial for combating climate change as they absorb harmful levels of Carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere.
Pop music superstar Prince Rogers Nelson popularly known as Prince passed away in suburban Minneapolis, United States. He was 57.
Prince was widely known for his flamboyant stage presence and wide vocal range.
He was the pioneer of famous song the Minneapolis sound and was renowned as an innovator for his eclectic work.
He had won seven Grammy Awards and earned 30 nominations. He also won an Oscar for the song score “Purple Rain”.