Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. West Bengal government is planning to get Geographical Indication (GI) tag for four traditional sweet delicacies of the state.
- These four traditional sweet delicacies are Moa of Jainagar, Sarpuria of Krishnagar, and Mihidana and Sitabhog of Burdwan.
- GI tag will help to protect these sweets from cheap imitations and also help preserve their quality. It will also help to boost their exports.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the National Rurban Mission (NRM) from Kurubhat in Rajnandgaon district of Chhattisgarh.
- It aims at catalyzing overall regional growth for simultaneously benefiting the rural as well as urban areas of the country.
- The mission also dubbed as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Rurban mission (SPMRM) aims to spur social, economic and infrastructure development in rural areas by developing a cluster of 300 Smart Villages over the next 3 years across the country.
3. Union Government has launched ‘Swachh Parayatan’ mobile application to keep tourist places clean.
- It was launched by Union Minister of State (MoS) for Tourism, Culture and Civil Aviation Mahesh Sharma in New Delhi.
- The project is being implemented by the Union Ministry of Tourism through Delhi eGovernance Society (DeGS) and National Informatics Centre (NIC).
International – Across the Globe:
1. An Indian-origin art lover and playwright Ismail Mahomed from South Africa has been knighted by the French government for his lifelong devotion to the promotion of arts.
- He was bestowed with Knight of the Order of Arts and Literature (The Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et Lettres) by French Ambassador Elisabet Barbier in Johannesburg.
- Presently, he is working as the Artistic Director of the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown.
Awards & Recognition:
1. India continues to remain the world’s largest arms importer, accounting for 14% of the global arms imports in the 2011-2015 timeframe.
- Declared by report on international arms transfers released by a global think-tank, Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
- Top arms importers are India (14%), China (4.7%), Australia (3.6%), Pakistan (3.3%), Vietnam (2.9%) and South Korea (2.6%).
2. Bihar became the sixth state to join Union Government’s UDAY (Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana) Scheme for financial restructuring of debt of power distribution companies.
Prior to this Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh and Gujarat to become part of the scheme.
3. Haryana is going become the first state in the country to complete aquifer mapping for its groundwater resources by May 2016.
- Aquifer is an underground layer of water-bearing rock from which groundwater can be extracted.
- It is scientific mapping of aquifers to assess the groundwater situation.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Indian Railway Officer Vinay Kumar Singh has been appointed as Managing Director of National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC).
- NCRTC is a nodal implementing agency of the three corridors of the Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) in the National Capital Region (NCR) zone.
- He has also worked with Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL), a railway PSU involved in the study of high speed rail corridors.
2. Senior IRS officer Jayant Misra has been appointed as Director General (DG) of Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
- He will succeed Najib Shah, Chairman of Central Board of Excise and Customs who was holding the charge as DG of DRI.
- He also served as Director General (Systems) of Systems and Data Management based in New Delhi.
3. Justice Vineet Saran has been appointed as the the new Chief Justice (CJ) of Orissa High Court as per the provisions of Article 217 of Constitution, by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
His appointment comes after it was lying vacant ever since transfer of Justice D H Waghela as CJ of Bombay High Court.
4. Scientist KN Vyas has been appointed as Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) for a term of three years.
- The BARC is India’s premier nuclear research facility based in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- His appointment was confirmed by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) presided by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
5. An Indian-origin Sikh Amar Singh has been appointed the Police Commissioner of Malaysia’s capital Kuala Lumpur.
- He becomes first person of Indian origin (PIO) and first Malaysian Sikh to achieve the highest police rank in the Muslim-majority country.
- He also served as deputy director of CID.
MoU & Mergers:
1. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was sighned between the confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Dubai Exports to boost trade and explore business opportunities.
- CII is a non-government organisation of Indian businesses which works to create an environment conducive to the growth of industry in the country.
- Dubai Exports works with other Dubai Government Departments to simplify the export process by developing long-term growth strategies to expand businesses and maximise opportunities
Science & Technology:
1. The Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks (CGPDT) has issued an order excluding software patents in its revised guidelines for Computer Related Inventions (CRIs).
- The new order clearly mentions that, mere computer programmes those not in conjunction with a novel hardware will not be granted patent in India.
- Software developers and start-ups will continue to have the freedom to innovate without worrying infringement notices in Computer Related Inventions area.
1. 21 February has observed as International Mother Language Day (Bhasha Divas).
- 2016 Theme for this day was “Quality education, language(s) of instruction and learning outcomes”.
- The year 2016 is the 16th anniversary of International Mother Language Day.
- The Day is observed annually by UNESCO member states to promote linguistic and cultural diversity and multilingualism.
1. The Jaypee Punjab Warriors has won the fourth edition of Coal India Hockey India League (HIL) title 2016.
- Hockey India League (HIL) is a professional field hockey league in India organized by Hockey India, the governing body for the sport in India.
- It was their maiden title.
- The final match was played at the Birsa Munda Hockey Stadium in Ranchi, in which they defeated Kalinga Lancers by 6-1 goals.
- Player of the Tournament was given to Rupinder Pal Singh (Delhi Waveriders).
- Man of the Match was given Mark Knowles (Punjab Warriors).
2. Ukraine’s Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk Football Club (FC) has won the 2016 Sait Nagjee International Club Football Tournament. It was 36th edition of the tournament and the first edition after 1995 when it was stopped.
1. Bhubaneshwari Mishra, the famous Odissa singer passed away following a sudden cardiac arrest in New Delhi. She was 67.
- She was one of the talented artist from Odisha and was renowned as classical and playback singer.
- She has been conferred with Odisha State Film Award for best female playback singer for two consecutive terms in 1979 and 1980 for the movies Srikrushna Rasalila and Jay Ma Mangala respectively.