Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. India’s Agasthyamala Biosphere Reserve (ABR) was included in the World Network of Biosphere Reserves of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
ABR in situated at the southern-most end of the Western Ghats and spread over two southern states Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
The event took place at the International Coordinating Council of the Man and the Biosphere (ICCMAB) programme of UNESCO that concluded recently in Lima, Peru.
Along with this 19 other sites were also included.
Among these sites, 9 are the Biosphere Reserves i.e. Nilgiri (Western Ghats), Gulf of Mannar (Tamil Nadu), Sunderban (West Bengal), Nanda Devi (Uttarakhand), Nokrek (Meghalaya), Pachmarh (Madhya Pradesh), Similipal (Odisha), Achanakmar-Amarkantak (Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh) and Great Nicobar.
2. The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEFCC) for the first time notified new environment standards for Gensets running on various kinds of fuels including LPG, petrol and diesel in various cities.
The primary aim of the new standards for Gensets is to control air and noise pollution emanating from the operation of Gensets.
These standards were recommended by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) after consultations with industries and other stakeholders.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Ritu Beri, famous fashion designer has been appointed advisor to the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) for promotion of khadi in India and across the world.
The KVIC is a statutory body established by Union Government under the Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act, 1956.
She has been appointed for tenure of one year and shall advise KVIC on ways to promote khadi in India and across the world.
She has 25 years of rich experience in the global fashion arena designing clothes for international and national celebrities.
2. Justice H L Dattu, the Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has been appointed as member of the International Coordinating Committee Bureau (ICCB) of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRI-ICC) Bureau in Geneva.
The ICC Bureau is an important human rights body that serves as the Management Committee of the International Coordinating Committee of National Human Rights Institutions (ICC).
He has been selected from the Asia-Pacific region and shall represent India along with Mongolia, Qatar and Australia from this region.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Nepal has signed an agreement with China to build a strategic railway link between the two countries through Tibet.
It was signed during Nepal Prime Minister K.P. Sharma Oli’s official seven day visit to China.
It will end Nepal’s dependency on Indian sea ports.
It also include a feasibility study on the establishment of a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) between both countries.
1. Every year 23rd March is being observed as World Meteorological Day (WMD).
The theme for 2016 year is “Hotter, Drier, Wetter. Face the Future”.
The theme focuses the disruption caused by climate change on the natural pattern of the seasons and increasing frequency and intensity of certain extreme weather events such as heat waves, droughts and heavy rainfall.
On this day in 1950 the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Convention came into force that aimed at creating WMO.