Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Gujarat Government has launched Smart Village program to improve public facilities in the villages.
It was launched by Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel on the occasion of completion of two years of her Government.
Under this programme, 300 villages will be selected for Smart Village program.
Villages will be shortlisted by the state-level committee consisting of experts on the basis of Gram Panchayat’s performance through a transparent process.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling was conferred with the Yug Kavi Siddhicharan Award, one of the Nepal’s prestigious literary award.
The award was bestowed upon him by Nepal Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli for his commendable contributions in promoting Nepali literature in India.
The award ceremony was organised by Siddhicharan Shrestha Academy on the occasion of 105th birth anniversary of the late poet Shrestha.
Yug Kavi Siddhicharan Award carries a certificate of appreciation and a sum of 100,000 Nepali Rupees.
His other works in Nepali include Prarambhik Kavita (1978), Antyaheen Sapana: Mero Bipana (1985), Ma Ko Hoon! (1992) and Sikkim ra Nariko Maryada.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Anurag Thakur was elected as President of BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) by the board’s special general meeting (SGM) held in Mumbai.
He is 34th BCCI President and shall have tenure till September 2017.
He succeeds Shashank Manohar who stepped down to take get elected as ICC’s first independent chairman.
Thakur is the second youngest BCCI President after Fateh Singh Gaekwad who was the youngest BCCI President to get elected at the age of 33 in 1963.
2. President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed BJP leader and former IPS officer Kiran Bedi as the Lieutenant Governor (LG) of Puducherry as per Article 239 of the Constitution.
The a post LG was vacant for the past two years after the Union Government had sacked Virendra Kataria from the post in July 2014.
Since then, it was under the additional charge of Ajay Kumar Singh, Lt. Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
3. Ms. J Jayalalithaa has sworn in as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for record sixth time after winning 2016 state assembly election with absolute majority.
State Governor Dr.K. Rosaiah administered the oath of office and secrecy to her at oath taking ceremony held at the Centenary Auditorium, Madras University.
Governor also administered oath of office and secrecy to the 28 ministers of her government.
This is J Jayalalithaa’s second consecutive term as chief minister and sixth overall.
She is the second female Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu after Janaki Ramachandran.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Iran signed 12 Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) and Agreements in various areas including building and operating the Chabahar port by India.
The other agreements include cooperation in science and technology, culture, library sciences, and cooperation between the EXIM banks of both the countries.
These agreements were signed after the delegation level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani.
These agreements are:
Bilateral contract on Chabahar Port for port development and operations
MoU between EXIM Bank and Iran’s Ports and Maritime Organization (PMO)
Confirmation Statement between EXIM Bank and Central Bank of Iran (CBI
MoU between IRCON and CDTIC
MoU on India-Iran Cultural Exchange Programme (CEP)
MoU on Policy Dialogue between Governments and Interaction between Think Tanks
MoU between Foreign Service Institute, MEA and School of International Relations, Iran’s MoFA
Implementation Protocol on Cooperation in the Fields of Science and Technology
2. India and Oman have signed four Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs)/agreements on defence cooperation.
These MoUs/agreements were signed in Muscat during the visit of Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to Oman.
Signed agreements are:
MOU on Defence Cooperation
MOU in the field of Marine Crime Prevention at Sea
MOU on Maritime Issues
Protocol on Flight Safety information Exchange
1. Every year May 22 is being observed as International Biodiversity Day (IDB) across the world to promote conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity.
The objective is to step-up understanding and awareness about biodiversity issues and to make people aware about the importance of biodiversity on the one hand and its unprecedented loss on the other.
2016 Theme is “Mainstreaming Biodiversity: Sustaining People and their Livelihoods”