Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. The Supreme Court has stayed the judgement of the Uttarakhand High Court quashing the imposition of President’s rule imposed under Article 356 in the Constitution till April 27, 2016.
With this President rule has been again restored in Uttarakhand as the High Court judgement will be kept in abeyance till the next date of hearing of SC.
The apex court stay order came after the Union Government had moved the Court against the Uttarakhand High Court verdict quashing President’s rule in the state.
1. President Pranab Mukherjee has nominated of six eminent members to Rajya Sabha as per the provisions of Article 80 of the Constitution.
These nominated members are: Mary Kom, Narendra Jadhav, Suresh Gopi, Swapan Dasgupta, Subramanian Swamy, Navjot Singh Sidhu.
As per Article 80 (Part V) of the Constitution, President can nominate 12 members in the Council of States (Rajya Sabha).
These persons should have special knowledge or practical experience in the field of Art, Science, Literature and Social Service.
International – Across the Globe:
1. 175 nations including India have signed the historic Paris Climate Agreement at United Nations Headquarters in New York along marking a significant step to combat global warming.
On behalf of India, Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar signed the agreement at a high-level ceremony hosted by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on the occasion of Earth Day (22 April).
The ceremony was attended by heads of governments, foreign ministers, corporate leaders and artists from across the world.
The agreement will come into force 30 days after at least 55 Parties to the UNFCCC, accounting for at least 55 per cent of global emissions ratify the agreement.
1. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) on suspended the accreditation of the National Anti-Doping Laboratory of Beijing.
It prohibits the Chinese laboratory from carrying out any WADA-related anti-doping activities including all analyses of urine and blood samples.
The suspension was for up to four months with immediate effect, although the laboratory has 21 days to appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Indian Information Service (IIS) officer Bhupendra Kainthola has been appointed as Director of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII).
Kainthola will replace Prashant Pathrabe and shall have tenure of three years. He is a 1989 batch IIS officer.
Prior to this appointment he was serving as Director (News Room) with DD News since January 2015.
He was responsible for ‘management of news operations and output’.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. China and Pakistan have signed an agreement for the launch of a special satellite to monitor the development of the multi-billion dollars China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) projects.
In this regard, both countries have decided for development and launch of the Pakistan Remote Sensing Satellite (PRSS-1) System and launch a satellite in June 2018.
This agreement will also transfer space technology to Pakistan as the PRSS-1 is considered as yet another flagship project between China-Pakistan after CPEC.
It would also help Pakistan in its national security arena by strengthening surveillance apparatus and border security.