Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for the implementation of the rural housing scheme of Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana- Gramin.
Under the scheme, financial assistance will be provided for construction of pucca houses to all houseless and households living in dilapidated houses.
The expenditure involved in implementing the project is Rs.81975 crore in a span of 3 years from 2016-17 to 2018-19.
1. Australian all-rounder Shane Watson has declared his retirement from all forms of International Cricket after the end of his team’s campaign in the ongoing ICC World Twenty20.
He made this announcement at I S Bindra Stadium in Mohali, Punjab. Earlier in 2015, he had announced his retirement from Test cricket at the end of 2015 Ashes tour of England.
He had played total 59 test matches and had scored 3731 runs at an average of 35.19. His highest test score was 176 and total test score comprises of 4 centuries.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Union Consumer Affairs Ministry has released a self-regulation Code of ethical business conduct to be adopted by the Industry on providing best products and services.
In this regard, Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) was inked between Department of Consumer Affairs and the industry bodies related to self-regulated code of fair business.
The code contains provision of trustworthy products and services for the consumers, comply with the competition and anti-trust laws and respond to consumer complaints promptly.
It covers six broad principles to be adopted by the industry:-
Safety of products and services
Building sustainable supply chains
Marketing products ethically
Non-indulgence in unfair trade practices
Complying with competition and anti-trust laws
Prompt response to consumer complaints
Science & Technology:
1. Scientists at Lucknow based CSIR-Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP) have found that mint plant has medicinal values that can cure cancer.
They have identified that a medicinal compound called ‘L-Menthol’ derived from Mentha plant popularly known as mint.
L-Menthol compound can kill the colon cancer cell line without affecting the normal cell line.
1. Every year 25th March is being observed as International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade.
It honours and remembers those who suffered and died as a consequence of the transatlantic slave trade.
It also aims at raising awareness about the dangers of racism and prejudice
2016 Theme was “Remember Slavery: Celebrating the Heritage and Culture of the African Diaspora and its Roots”.
1. Johan Cruyff, the Dutch football legend and coach passed away after a long battle with lung cancer in Barcelona, Italy. He was 68.
Cruyff was one of the most famous exponents of the football philosophy known as Total Football.
He is widely regarded to be one of the greatest players in football history.
2. Garry Shandling, legendary US writer, actor, and comedian passed away in Los Angeles due to heart attack. He was 66.
He has influenced a generation of comedians with his Emmy Award winning TV series, “it’s Garry Shandling’s Show”.
He was nominated for 19 Primetime Emmy Awards and 2 Golden Globe Awards, along with many other awards and nominations.
3. V D Rajappan, Kerala’s popular Kadhaprasangam (story telling) artiste and Malayalam film actor passed away in Kottayam. He was 70.
He was best known for his comic roles and for his unique style of stand-up comedy.
He was known for his unique style of presenting Kadhaprasangam in a satirical manner.