Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Ministry of Urban Development has shortlisted 13 cities from 13 States/UTs in the list of second batch of Smart Cities Mission.
These cities were shortlisted based on scores obtained in Fast Track competition conducted for 23 cities from as many States and Union Territories.
This competition list was topped by Lucknow in Uttar Prades and was followed by Warangal in Telangana and Dharmashala in Himachal Pradesh.
2. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) Circuit Bench of Kochi has banned light and heavy diesel vehicles which are more than 10 years old in six major cities of Kerala.
These six major cities are Thiruvananthapuram (state capital), Kochi (commercial capital), Kollam, Thrissur, Kozhikode and Kannur.
Order in this regard was given by the NGT Circuit Bench comprising NGT chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar and expert member Bikram Singh Sajwan.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. BJP leader and former Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal was sworn-in as the 14th Chief Minister of Assam after winning 2016 state assembly election with absolute majority.
State Governor Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya administered the oath of office and secrecy to Sarbananda Sonowal at the oath taking ceremony held in Khanapara, Guwahati.
Besides, Governor also administered oath of office and secrecy to the 10 ministers of his government.
2. Veteran CPI (M) leader Pinarayi Vijayan was sworn-in as 12th Chief Minister of Kerala after the left Democratic Front (LDF) had won 2016 state assembly election.
State Governor P Sathasivam administered his oath of office and secrecy to him along with other 18 ministers of his government in Thiruvananthapuram.
In the 2016 state assembly election, the CPI (M)-led coalition of LDF had emerged victorious after winning 91 seats in the 140 member Assembly.
Then ruling United Democratic Front (UDF) had emerged as largest opposition coalition after winning 47 seats.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and World Bank have signed the Loan and Project Agreements for World Bank (IBRD) assistance of US 100 million dollars for Karnataka Urban Water Supply Modernization project.
Objective of the project is to provide city-wide access to a continuous piped water supply in the eligible cities in Karnataka and to strengthen the service delivery arrangements at the city level.
KUIDFC is the nodal implementing agency for the project.
The project has four broad components:
(i) Capital Investment Program
(ii) Technical Assistance for Sector Development
(iii) Institution Building
(iv) Project Management
2. The Union Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and the United Arab Emirates Space Agency (UAESA) for cooperation in the exploration and user of outer space for peaceful purposes.
Decision in this regard was taken by Union Cabinet meeting chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
The MoU seek to set up a Joint Working Group with members from ISRO and UAESA.
It will further work out the plan of action including the time-frame and the means of implementing the MoU.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The World Bank has launched Pandemic Emergency Finance Facility (FEP) to help countries and health agencies fight deadly disease outbreaks.
FEP is a financing mechanism designed to quickly mobilize funds to tackle global disease outbreaks and create a new insurance market for pandemic risk.
It was unveiled at the G-7 Finance Ministers Summit held in Ise-Shima, Japan.
Japanese Government has committed to donate $50 million dollars to it, becoming the first donor.
Science & Technology:
1. The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) has decided to launch ASMITA, a student tracking system programme.
ASMITA is acronym for All School Monitoring Individual Tracing Analysis and shall be launched under Shala Asmita Yojana (SAY).
ASMITA will be an online database which will carry information of student attendance and enrolment, learning outcomes, mid-day meal service and infrastructural facilities among others.
Students will be tracked through their Aadhaar numbers and incase those not having unique number will be provided with it.
2. Scientists from Trinity College Dublin’s School of Physics and CRANN Institute have discovered a new property of light based on Angular Momentum.
The scientific breakthrough discovery has potential to alter the basic understanding of fundamental nature of light.
The discovery was made by passing light through crystals. During it passage, unexpected new property of light, based on the concept called ‘angular momentum’ was observed.