Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Government has extended e-Tourist Visa Scheme to 37 more countries. With this, the total count of countries under the scheme will become 150.
- The e-Tourist Visa Scheme facilitates pre-authorization of Visa i.e. electronic travel authorisation given to foreigners prior to travel.
- The new countries included in e-Tourist Visa scheme are Austria, Albania, Botswana, Brunei, Bulgaria, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Comoros, Cote d’lvoire, Cape Verde, Czech Republic, Croatia, Eritrea, Denmark, Gabon, Greece, Guinea, Gambia, Ghana, Madagascar, Malawi, Iceland, Lesotho, Liberia, San Marino, Moldova, Namibia, Romania, South Africa, Swaziland, Switzerland, Senegal, Serbia, Slovakia, Trinidad & Tobago, Tajikistan, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India has lost solar case against United States at the World Trade Organisation (WTO) for in breaching of international trade rules.
- United States had dragged India to WTO’s DSB in 2013 alleging that domestic content requirement on solar power developers discriminated against American and other imported solar technology.
- WTO’s Dispute Settlement Body (DSB) ruled that India’s domestic content requirement for National Solar Mission (NSM) discriminated against imported solar technology.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Goverdhan Mehta, a Chemical scientist and well-known researcher has been conferred with Germany’s prestigious Cross of the Order of Merit (Bundesverdienstkreuz) Award by Achim Fabig, German Consul General in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- It is Germany’s only honour that is awarded to both Germans and foreigners in all fields of endeavour.
- Goverdhan Mehta is former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Hyderabad (UoH) from 1994 to 1998. He has authored more than 400 research papers.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Three Information Commissioners were appointed by the Union Government at the Central Information Commission (CIC).
- CIC is designated statutory authority to receive and inquire into a complaint from any person who have not been able to submit information.
- The appointees are Amitava Bhattacharya, Bimal Julka and Divya Prakash Sinha.
- Their appointments have been made for a term of five years or till they turn 65.
2. The Union Government has appointed Rajendra Singh as the Director General (DG) of Indian Coast Guard (ICG), country’s coastal protection force.
- Indian Coast Guard is India’s statutory multi-mission paramilitary organization that protects country’s maritime interests and enforces maritime law.
- Mr. Singh is 1980 batch officer of ICG cadre, who served as Additional Director General (ADG).
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on 25 February 2016 presented the Railway Budget 2016-17 in the Parliament. This was the the second railway budget for Suresh Prabhu and third rail budget of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led NDA government.
- Theme of the Budget was ‘Chalo, Milkar Kuch Naya Karen’ for overcoming challenges – Reorganize, Rejuvenate, Restructure Indian Railways.
- Three pillars strategy were set as “Nav Arjan – New revenues, Nav Manak – New norms, Nav Sanrachna – New Structures”.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. Lok Sabha has passed Election Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to grant voting rights to people who became citizens of India following the exchange of enclaves between India and Bangladesh.
- The bill seeks to amend the Representation of the People Act (RPA), 1950 and the Delimitation Act, 2002.
- This bill aims to empower the Election Commission of India (ECI) to carry out delimitation in areas that were affected by the enactment of the Constitution (100th Amendment) Act, 2015.
Science & Technology:
1. State Bank of India (SBI), India’s largest lender has launched SBI e-Smart SME to provide a working capital loan for sellers on ecommerce platforms.
- SBI launched it in partnership with ecommerce platform Snapdeal in the presence of bank’s Chairman Arundhati Bhattacharya and Snapdeal CEO Sri Kunal Bahl.
- By this scheme sellers on ecommerce platforms can apply for the loan online and get instant sanctioning of the loan with KYC documents.
2. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to launch the country’s first solar mission called Aditya-L1.
- It was announced by Union Minister of State (MoS) in PMO Jitendra Singh in the Lok Sabha.
- Aditya-L1 satellite will be placed in an orbit about 15 lakh kilometres from the earth in a halo orbit around the L1 Lagranian point. It will be launched by using the PSLV XL.