Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Andhra Pradesh government inaugurated India’s first river linking project viz. Pattiseema lift irrigation project connecting Godavari River with Krishna River from the ongoing Polavaram Multi-purpose Irrigation Project.
The project has been completed in a record time of one year by the Hyderabad-based Megha Engineering and Infrastructure Limited (MEIL).
The project has capactiry to lift 80 tmc (trillion metric cubic feet) of flood water from Godavari River in a span of 110 days during the flooding season between July and October.
2. Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) successfully commissioned a 600 MW coal-based thermal power plant in Telangana.
The unit was commissioned at the upcoming 2×600 MW Singareni Thermal Power Project (TPP) located at Jaipur in Adilabad district of Telangana.
SCCL is India’s second largest coal mining company and operates 16 opencast and 32 underground mines in 4 districts of Telangana.
3. The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change notified the E-Waste Management Rules, 2016.
The new set of rules will supersede the E-Waste (Management & Handling) Rules, 2011 and will pave the way for more transparent and environment friendly management of e-waste across the country.
Urban Local Bodies (Municipal Committee/Council/Corporation) were given the duty to collect and channelized the orphan products to authorized dismantler or recycler.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has been named among the world’s 50 greatest leaders by Fortune magazine.
He is sole leader from India in the list and has been placed at 42nd position.
2016 edition is Fortune magazine’s third annual ‘World’s 50 Greatest Leaders’ list and it has been topped by Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Mizoram government and Japanese International Cooperative Agency (JICA) have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on ‘Capacity Enhancement for Sustainable Agriculture and Irrigation Development’.
It was signed by the State government officials of Agriculture, Minor Irrigation, Horticulture and Soil and Water Conservation departments.
The MoU will pave way for experts of the Japanese company to undertake technical cooperation project on the companys expense in four rural development blocks in Aizawl, Serchhip, Kolasib and Champhai districts.
2. The Union Cabinet gave its ex-post facto approval for a MoU between India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to mobilise long term investment into the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF).
The Memorandum of Understanding was signed on 11 February 2016 to maximize economic impact mainly through infrastructure development in commercially viable projects in India.
It will facilitate establishment of a transparent and high-level framework and collaboration platform for smooth flow of investments for this purpose.