1. Union Government has approved induction of women into the Fighter branch of Indian Air Force (IAF).
Henceforth, women are eligible to get inducted in all branches and streams of the Air Force.
2. The Union Finance Ministry has imposed anti-dumping duties on imported Chinese auto parts used in commercial vehicles for a period of five years.
3. The Ministry of Railways announced that India’s first AC double-decker Shatabdi train will soon run between Mumbai and Goa route.
4. Chief Minister of Haryana announced to open a Sanskrit University for Schedule Castes (SCs) at Mundri village, which will be named after Maharishi Valmiki.
1. Japan has offered soft loan of 15 billion dollars at an interest rate of less than 1 per cent to India’s ambitious first bullet train project viz. Mumbai-Ahmedabad high speed rail corridor along with technology.
1. Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain has won 2015 United States Grand Prix title of Formula One for the fourth time.
Rankings after 2015 US Grand Prix
1st position: Lewis Hamilton (Britain) of Mercedes.
2nd position: Nico Roseberg (Germany) of Mercedes.
3rd position: Sebastian Vettel (Germany) of Ferrari.
4th position: Max Verstappen (Netherlands) of Toro Rosso.
5th position: Sergio Perez (Mexico) of Force India.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Public service broadcaster Doordarshan emerged as the most-watched Hindi channel in terms of time spent per viewer ahead of top General Entertainment Channels (GEC).
2. Indian High Commissioner to the UK, Ranjan Mathai honoured Dr. MN Nandakumara and Sivasakthi Sivanesan with Lifetime Achievement Award and Sangeet Acharya Ratna Award respectively in London.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. India’s elite disaster mitigation combat force, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) tied up with about 30 Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) in order to develop mutual understanding and enhance capabilities to jointly tackle man-made or natural emergencies.
2. Poland and three Baltic states-Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia signed the grant agreement on the GIPL (Gas Interconnector Poland – Lithuania) in Brussels, Belgium.
1. The Punjab Government appointed Suresh Arora, a 1982-batch IPS officer, as the Director General of Police (DGP).
2. Shekhar Basu took over the posts of Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) and Secretary, Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) in Mumbai.
3. Indian-origin Ashok-Alexander Sridharan sworn in as the mayor of Bonn in Germany.
Science & Technology:
1. A team of scientists have discovered two complex organic molecules viz. Ethyl alcohol and a simple sugar known as glycolaldehyde on a comet.
These molecules were discovered on Comet Lovejoy from gas emitted by a comet by scientists from NASA, the Paris Observatory and other organizations.
2. Four new crab species namely Paguristes luculentus, Diogenes canaliculatus, Pagurus spinossior and Afropinnotheres ratnakara were discovered in Kerala by collaborative research project of A. Biju Kumar, R. Reshmi and Tomoyuki Komai (Japan).
3. Hurricane Patricia has struck Mexico’s Pacific coast with destructive winds that forced thousands of people to flee homes and beach front resorts.
1. World Polio Day is observed annually across the world on 24th October. The day seeks to create awareness about the hazards of the crippling Polio disease.
1. Bengali film, television and stage actor Pijush Ganguly passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal. He was 50.
2. Renowned Irish-American actress and singer Maureen O’Hara passed away in Boise, US. She was 95.