1. India launched a relief and rescue operation named Operation Maitri in earthquake hit Nepal. The operation will involve two dozen military aircraft and choppers along with bus services through road route.
2. Andhra Pradesh Government constituted an eight-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the Chittoor firing case in which 20 people were killed in Seshachalam forest area of Chittoor district.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated India’s Healthcare Portal at the SAAARC Trade Mart in the Global Exhibition on Services, in ITPO, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
4. The World Happiness Report 2015 was released. The report was published by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) an initiative under the United Nations. The report was topped by Switzerland followed by Iceland, Denmark, Norway and Canada. The World Happiness Report examined 158 countries and is aimed at influencing government policy. Togo, Burundi, Benin and Rwanda, with civil-war wracked Syria, were least happy.
5. Pathai Ananthasubramanian Murali resigned as Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Executive Director (ED) of Bengaluru-based United Spirits Limited. Murali also resigned from the boards of all subsidiaries. United Spirits is the largest alcoholic beverage company of India.
1. Russia and Argentina signed a series of framework agreements on economic and energy co-operation. The agreements were inked during the two-day visit of Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner to Moscow. Kirchner and Russian President Vladimir Putin termed the agreements as a comprehensive strategic partnership between the two countries.
2. Turrialba volcano in Costa Rica erupted. The eruption led to rise of a column of gas and ash in the sky and forced closure of the airport in the capital city San Jose. The blast from the Turrialba volcano in the east of the Central American country came after the Calbuco volcano in Chile erupted twice on 22nd April and 24th April 2015.
3. China and Pakistan signed an agreement on China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) plan worth USD 46 billion. The agreement was signed by China’s President Xi Jinping and Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
1. Wladimir Klitschko of Ukraine successfully defended his world heavyweight boxing title for the 18th time in a row. At Madison Square Garden in New York, Klitschko defeated his American challenger Bryant Jennings with a lopsided 12-round unanimous point decision.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) Ltd won the Asian Banker Achievement Award 2015. It was awarded for Technology Implementation in the category of Best Outsourcing Project (New Bank). The award was received by Usha Ananthasubramanian, the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of BMB at a function held in Hong Kong during the Asian Banker Summit 2015.
2. Indian-origin diplomat Gopinath Pillai was awarded the Outstanding Service Award for his services in Singapore by the National University of Singapore (NUS). Currently, Pillai is serving as Ambassador-at-Large of Singapore and special envoy to Andhra Pradesh. He is the chairman of Management Board of the Institute of South Asian Studies, a National University of Singapore funded research institute.
3. Sangeeta Bhatia, an Indian-origin scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) won the prestigious 2015 Heinz Award in the Technology, the Economy, and Employment category. This was the 20th Heinz Award which is given annually since 1993.
1. The Global Risk Institute in Financial Services named Richard Nesbitt, a former CIBC executive, as its new president and CEO.
1. Union Government allowed Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) to invest 5% of its corpus in Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs). The decision will result into an inflow of around 5000 crore rupees into the stock markets during fiscal 2015-16.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. Bank of Baroda (BoB) tied-up with UAE Exchange to offer instant money transfer facility to its non-resident Indian (NRI) customers.
1. World Malaria Day (WMD) was observed on 25th April 2015. The theme for the 2013-2015 campaign is Invest in the Future. Defeat Malaria.
2. National Panchayati Raj Day was observed across India on 24th April 2015. The day is observed to mark the passing of the Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act, 1992 that came into force with effect from 24th April 1993.