Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. The Shyam Benegal headed committee constituted by the Union Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry has submitted its report to Union I&B minister Arun Jaitley.
The committee was tasked to look holistically into the functioning of the censor board and revamp the film certification nuances by Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC).
CBFC should only be a film certification body and its scope should be restricted to categorizing the suitability of the film to audience groups on the basis of age and maturity.
2. The Union Railway Ministry has decided to create a 1 lakh crore rupees safety fund named Rashtriya Rail Sanraksha Kosh to strengthen safety measures on the rail network to prevent accidents.
It was announced by Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu in the Lok Sabha while replying to a debate on Demands for Grants for Railways for 2016-17.
In this regard Union Railway Ministry has forwarded a proposal to the Union Finance Ministry for approval.
3. The Southern Command of the Indian Navy has inaugurated a naval detachment at Androth Island of the Lakshadweep archipelago.
The naval detachment seeks to strengthen maritime security in and around Arabian Sea and enhance surveillance of crucial shipping lanes.
Key facts are as follows: -
The facility will function as an observance and reporting organization.
It will provide connectivity with mainland.
Enable sea lanes of communication (SLOC) monitoring.
It will also facilitate radar surveillance. Enhance the Navy’s reach and contribute significantly to strengthen maritime security.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The Heart of Asia (HoA) conference began in New Delhi with the objective of bringing peace and stability to Afghanistan.
The conference was attended by officials of a number of countries and is likely to deliberate on a host of issues like combating challenge of extremism and terrorism.
HoA conference is a part of the Istanbul Process established 2011 which provides a platform to discuss an agenda of regional cooperation with Afghanistan at its centre.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Riyad Mahrez (Algerian origin) became the first African footballer to win the Professional Footballers Association’s (PFA) Player of the Year award.
He was presented the award for the 2015–16 season at the Professional Footballers’ Association awards ceremony organised in London.
With this, Mahrez also became the second non-European, after Luis Suarez (Uruguayan striker) to win this prestigious award in the sport of Football.
2. K Ashok Kumar, a research food engineer scholar from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur has won the prestigious 2016 International Plant Nutrition Scholar Award (IPNSA).
He was bestowed with this award for his research on nutrition management of rice-chickpea production system in laterite soil.
The award is given by the US-based International Plant Nutrition Institute (IPNI). The award carries a cash prize of US 2,000 dollars and a recognition certificate.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. The Tibetan government-in-exile has re-elected Lobsang Sangey as the Prime Minister for a second consecutive term.
The election result was announced by the Tibetan election officials in the northern Indian town of Dharmsala which is the headquarters of the government-in-exile.
Science & Technology:
1. Union Tourism Ministry has launched National Monuments Authority Web Portal called NOC Online Application and Processing System (NOAPS).
The web portal will provide single window clearance for applicants to get no-objection certificates (NoC) within six working days for construction-related works near the 3,686 protected monuments in the country.
Under the present rules, hundred meters area around the monument is a prohibited zone.
2. The Union Government has made mandatory for mobile manufacturers to add in-built panic button and global positioning system (GPS) in all phones from January 1, 2017 and 2018 respectively.
In this regard, Department of Telecommunications has notified the Panic Button and Global Positioning System in Mobile Phone Handsets Rules, 2016 under section 10 of the Indian Wireless Telegraph Act, 1933.
Initially from January 1, 2017 all phones will have the facility of panic button that lets users instantly alert the emergency services.