Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been invited to address a joint meeting of the United States (US) Congress on June 8, 2016 during his visit to the US.
He was invited by President Barack Obama for a bilateral visit during the fourth nuclear summit.
It was announced by the Speaker of the US House of Representative Paul Ryan.
PM Narendra Modi will be the fifth Indian Prime Minister to address a joint meeting of Congress, and the first since 2005.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. Parliament passed Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to include certain communities in the list of Scheduled Castes (SC) from 4 states.
The bill seeks to amend Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950 to include certain communities from Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Kerala and West Bengal in the list.
It also has provisions for exclusion of certain communities from Odisha and removal of area restriction in respect of certain communities.
2. The Parliament has passed the Industries (Development and Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2015.
The Bill amends the Industries (Development and Regulation) Act, 1951. It was first was passed in Lok Sabha in December 2015 and later in Rajya Sabha in April 2016.
Now it will go for Presidential assent as per Article 111 of the Indian Constitution.
The bill seeks to bring industries engaged in the manufacture of potable alcohol under the exclusive control of States in all respects.
Science & Technology:
1. The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has successfully launched India’s 7th navigation satellite IRNSS 1G of the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS).
The satellite was launched into a Sub-Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (Sub-GTO) on-board of Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) C-33 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
IRNSS 1G satellite is last space segment satellites of the IRNSS system.
India joins elite group of selected nations that have their own GPS (Global Positioning System) or navigation system.
2. Russia has successfully launched the first rocket from its newly built Vostochny Cosmodrome in the Amur Oblast, in Russian Far East region bordering China.
The unmanned Soyuz-2.1a rocket is carrying three satellites as payloads namely Mikhailo Lomonosov (scientific satellite), SamSat-218 (an experimental nanosatellite) and Aist-2D (a civilian distance viewing satellite).
Vostochny Cosmodrome is a Russian spaceport for civilian launches under construction after it was launched in 2012.
On completion in 2018, it will reduce Russia’s dependency on the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
3. The Election Commission of India (ECI) has launched an innovative mobile application titled e-voter with comprehensive details about the forthcoming 2016 Assembly polls in Kerala.
The app is envisaged for voters’ facilitation for search in electoral roll, information regarding candidates, location of polling station, affidavit filed by them, filing of complaint and so on.
The e-voter app was developed by the state IT Mission. It aims at ensuring great transparency and conduct of free and fair elections.
The app has ‘know your candidate’ option that would provide constituency wise details of candidates.
4. Indian Naval Ships (INS) Veer and Nipat were decommissioned at the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
The decommissioning ceremony of these ships was held in the presence of Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief Western Naval Command.
Both the ships belonged to the 1241 RE class missile vessels.
They had served under 22nd Killer Squadron and have completed 29 and 28 years of commissioned service respectively.