Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. India’s biggest ever land, naval and homeland security exhibition Defence Expo 2016 began in Goa.
The four-day biennial event was inaugurated by the Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
This for the first time, the Expo is being held outside the national capital New Delhi.
It is the 9th edition of the series of biennial land, naval and internal homeland security systems exhibitions.
The 2016 theme is “Rise of Futurism” and its vision is to make India prosperous by establishing world class science and technology base in defence sector.
1. Sergey Karjakin, Russian grandmaster has won the prestigious FIDE World Chess Candidates Tournament held in Moscow.
In the final Round 14, he defeated American grandmaster Fabiano Caruana scoring 8.5 points.
He will now play with the incumbent world champion, Norwegian Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen, in a match for the world chess crown in November 2016.
He holds the record for the world’s youngest Grandmaster ever after he had qualified for this title at the age of 12 years and 7 months.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The 63rd National Film Awards for year 2015 were announced on 28 March 2016.
The National Film Awards are most prominent most prominent film award ceremonies in India, established in the year 1954 and awarded annually.
Best Feature Film- Baahubali: The Beginning (Tamil, Telugu) directed by S. S. Rajamouli.
Best popular film providing wholesome entertainment- Bajrangi Bhaijaan (Hindi) directed by Kabir Khan.
Best Actor- Amitabh Bachchan (Piku).
Best Actress- Kangana Ranaut (Tanu Weds Manu Returns).
Best Direction- Sanjay Leela Bhansali (Bajirao Mastani).
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Union Government has notified the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and other Subsidies, benefits and services) Act, 2016.
The Act will provide statutory backing for transfer of subsidies and benefits to eligible people having Aadhaar (UID) number.
Aadhaar Act seeks to provide efficient, transparent and targeted delivery of subsidies, benefits and services to individuals residing in India by assigning them unique identity numbers (UID) or Aadhaar number.
2. The Haryana Legislative Assembly has unanimously passed the Haryana Backward Classes (Reservation in services and admission in educational institutions) Bill, 2016.
The bill seeks to provide reservation in services and admission in educational institutions to persons belonging to backward classes including Jats and five other castes.
It provides to give 10 percent reservation to these castes for class III and class IV posts and 6% in class 1 and class 2 posts.
Science & Technology:
1. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to script history by launching a record number of 22 satellites in a single mission in May 2016.
These satellites (micro and nano) will be launched using ISRO’s workhorse Polar rocket PSLV C34.
It will be carrying India’s Cartosat 2C along with 21 other satellites from other countries, including US, Canada, Indonesia and Germany as co-passengers.
This launch would be made from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota. Earlier in 2008, ISRO had sent ten satellites into orbit in a single mission.
2. Public Sector Power equipment manufacturer Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has commissioned the second 40 MW hydropower generating unit at the Teesta low dam hydroelectric project (HEP) stage IV in West Bengal.
The hydropower generating unit was successfully installed at the Teesta low dam HEP, a run-of-the-river Greenfield project, located in Darjeeling district of the West Bengal.
Teesta low dam HEP is being set up by National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC).
It is expected to reduce green-house gas (GHGs) emissions and will help in achieving a low carbon development path for the state as well as the nation.