Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Finance Minister has extended the safeguard duty on import of some steel products by two years (March 2018).
The safeguard duty is tariff barrier imposed by government on the commodities to ensure that imports in excessive quantities do not harm the domestic industry.
The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) has issued a notification stating that safeguard duty will be reduced to 10% in stages till 2008 from current 20%.
It will be imposed on steel products hot-rolled flat products of non-alloy and other alloy steel in coils of 600 mm width.
The main intention of this move is to protect domestic industry from onslaught of cheap steel supplies (imports) from China amid a global glut.
1. Shiva Thapa, ace Indian boxer has won the silver medal at the Asian/Oceania Qualifying Tournament held in Qian’an, China in the 56 Kilogram category final.
He had also booked his ticket to 2015 Rio de Janeiro Olympics Games after beating Kazakhstan’s Kairat Yeraliyev in the semifinals.
He is a World Championship bronze-medalist in the Bantamweight category held in Doha in 2015.
He had also participated in the 2012 London Olympics and was the youngest Indian boxer to qualify for the Olympics.
Awards & Recognition:
1. PEN America on 31 March 2016 announced that it will confer the PEN/Barbey Freedom to Write Award upon imprisoned Egyptian novelist and journalist Ahmed Naji.
The award will be presented to Naji at Pen America’s annual Literary Gala on 16 May 2016 at the American Museum of Natural History in New York.
Naji is the author of three books and a journalist at the state-funded Akhbar al-Adab literary magazine.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Haryana Legislative Assembly has passed two bills to make minimum educational qualification criteria mandatory for the urban local bodies’ election (ULBs).
These bills are: (i) The Haryana Municipal (Amendment) Bill, 2016 & (ii) Haryana Municipal Corporation (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
These bills seeks to amend the Section 13 A of the Haryana Municipal Act, 1973 and Section 8 of the Haryana Municipal Corporation Act, 1994 respectively.
Science & Technology:
1. Union Government has released Indian Intellectual Property (IP) Panorama to increase awareness and build sensitivity towards IP in the SME sector, academia and researchers.
The IP Panorama is a single window interface for information on IP and guidance on leveraging it for competitive advantage.
It can be accessed at http://ict-ipr.in/index.php/ip-panorama
1. The World Autism Awareness Day 2016 was celebrated across the world today.
The 2016 theme for the day is “Autism and the 2030 Agenda: Inclusion and Neurodiversity”.
World Autism Awareness Day is an internationally recognized day, encouraging Member States of the United Nations to take measures to raise awareness about children with autism throughout the world.
1. Veteran journalist and writer Babu Bharadwaj died of cardiac arrest on 30 April 2016 in Kozhikode. He was 68.
Bharadwaj had been a part of prominent print and television media in Kerala. Kalapangalkkoru Grihapadam, a novel penned by him, won the Kerala Sahitya Akademi award in 2006.
He had also produced a Malayalam movie named Iniyum Marichittillatha Nammal in 1980. It was directed by Chintha Ravi.