1. Maharashtra Government has decided to take ordinance route to amend Maharashtra Prevention of Dangerous Activities (MPDA) Act, 1981.
2. The Supreme Court (SC) of India has stayed Rajasthan High Court’s order declaring Santhara, a Jain ritual of voluntary and systematic fasting to death illegal.
3. Islamic State (IS) militant group has destroyed part of historical Temple of Bel in the ancient site of Palmyra in Syria. The ancient temple was dedicated to the Palmyrene gods and was one of the best preserved parts of the historical sites of Palmyra.
4. Manipur Legislative Assembly has unanimously passed the Protection of Manipur People Bill, 2015 along with other two amendment bills to protect indigenous people of state.
5. Union Government has released 2,000 crore rupees to Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS), 1995 as its contribution for the year 2015-16.
6. Swachhata Sangraam Abhiyaan was launched in Indore district of Madhya Pradesh on 1 September 2015. On the occasion, over 100 public representatives donated 140 toilets for the poor.
7. Allahabad High Court asked Uttar Pradesh government to ensure flag hoisting ceremony of National Flag on Independence Day and Republic Day in Madarsas and other schools all over the state.
8. The Bihar Government decided to give two percent reservation in government jobs to the grand children of freedom fighters.
9. Australian trade minister Andrew Robb on 1 September 2015 said that India has emerged as the 8th largest tourism market for Australia. In 2014, over 2 lakh Indians visited the nation in and spent about 1 billion dollars which was an increase of 39 percent.
1. The highest mountain of North America was on 28 August 2015 renamed as Denali instead of its existing name Mt McKinley by US President Barack Obama.
1. Mumbai has won the Buchi Babu Memorial Trophy in the All India invitation cricket tournament.
2. Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has decided to recognize Yoga as a sports discipline and place it in the Priority category.
3. India won the three-match cricket test series against Sri Lanka, 2-1. In the third and final match of the series, India defeated the host with an emphatic 117-run.
4. The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) General Assembly on 2 September 2015 selected South African city Durban as the host for the XXII Commonwealth Games.
With this, South Africa became the first country from Africa to host the games in its 85 years history.
Awards & Recognition:
1. India has won the UNESCO prize ‘Award of Excellence’ 2015 for the conservation efforts of the Sree Vadakkunnathan Temple in Kerala. The top award was given in the Asia Pacific Heritage Award for Cultural Heritage Conservation.
2. Punjab Government has won first award in the category of highest capacity addition in grid connected solar rooftop power in the country during the financial year 2014-15.
1. A K Jha has been given additional charge of interim Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Limited.
2. Dinesh Kumar Likhi took charge as the Chairman-cum-Managing Director (CMD) of Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited (MIDHANI). Prior to this appointment, he was Director (Production & Marketing) of MIDHANI itself.
Science & Technology:
1. NASA and US Agency for International Development (USAID) have started the SERVIR-Mekong project, to strengthen the environmental monitoring in Southeast Asia region.
It has been launched in the Asian Disaster Preparedness Center in Bangkok, Thailand to serve the 5 countries of the Mekong River Basin viz. Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.
2. Union Ministry of Urban Development has come out with a Smart National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) model to enable seamless metro travel, shopping.
3. India has decided to join UN-based Better than Cash Alliance with a view to reduce cash transactions in its economy and achieve financial inclusion.