1. Union Government launched a scheme named SAHAJ for online release of new LPG connections for the consumers.
The scheme launched by Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan can be availed through the portal mylpg.in.
2. Manipur Legislative Assembly on 31 August 2015 unanimously passed the Protection of Manipur People Bill, 2015.
The House also unanimously passed two amendment bills, namely the Manipur Land Revenue and Land Reforms (Seventh Amendment) Bill, 2015 and the Manipur Shops and Establishments (Second Amendment) Bill, 2015.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi released digital recordings of epic Ramcharitmanas, as a set of digital CDs produced by All India Radio (AIR).
4. The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) extended the anti-dumping duty on Indian preserved mushrooms for another five years. The decision to extend the ban was taken on 29 July 2015 but it became public on 30 August 2015.
5. The Supreme Court of India (SC) stayed the Rajasthan High Court (HC) judgment that banned Santhara ritual of Jainism.
Santhara is a voluntary religious practice of facing death at the end of one’s life.
6. The 21st edition of the Delhi Book Fair has been launched at the Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
7. Biggest harvest festival of Thiru Onam was celebrated by Keralites across the globe.
1. Pakistan has banned the Islamic State (IS) militant group which has undertaken vast stretches of Iraq and Syria in its control.
This decision was taken Pakistan Government on the recommendation of the Foreign Office, which regularly updates it about international militant groups banned by the United Nations (UN).
1. Fifteenth IAAF World Championships in Athletics was held between 22nd August and 30th August 2015 at the Beijing’s National Stadium in China.
2. Indian wrestler Anil on 29th August 2015 won gold medal in the 50 kg freestyle category in the Cadet Wrestling World Championships at SARAJEVO, the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina. He defeated Erfan Aeini of Iran 10-6.
It was second medal for India at SARAJEVO as Ankush won silver in the 38 kg women freestyle on 28th August 2015.
3. Mare Dibaba of Ethiopia won the women’s marathon title at the 2015 World Athletics Championships at the Beijing National Stadium, China.
She is the first Ethiopian female to win the event at the world championships.
4. U Mumba won the Pro Kabaddi League 2015 title by defeating Bengaluru Bulls 36-30 in the final match held in Mumbai. U Mumba was headed by Anup Kumar.
5. Indian wrestler Anil won gold medal in the 50 kg freestyle category in the Cadet Wrestling World Championships at SARAJEVO, the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina. He defeated Erfan Aeini of Iran 10-6.
6. Indian women’s hockey team has qualified for 2016 Rio Olympics and now joining nine other teams.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Mountaineer Jot Singh of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) has been honoured with the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2014-15.
2. Rajiv Mehrishi, 1978 batch IAS of Rajasthan cadre, was appointed as the Union Home secretary.
He will occupy the post for two years with effect from 31 August 2015. He was due to retire on the day of appointment, but was given an extension of two-year.
Science & Technology:
1. State-owned financial services lender Indian Bank has launched IndPay mobile app service to enables its customers to operate bank accounts anytime from anywhere. It was formally unveiled by the Indian Bank MD and CEO M K Jain.
Key features of IndPay app
- Aims at helping bank’s customers to access their bank accounts from any corner of the country.
- It can be operated through smartphones compatible with Android, iOS and Windows mobile operating systems.
- It will help customers to do transactions like enquiries, transferring funds to any account and getting mini statements.
1. National Sports Day was celebrated on the 29 August 2015 across the country. The day is celebrated to mark the birth anniversary of hockey player Dhyan Chand.
2. 50th anniversary of 1965 India-Pakistan war was observed across the country on 28th August 2015.
1. The veteran Kannada writer and former vice-chancellor of Kannada University Dr Malleshappa Madivalappa Kalburgi was shot dead at his residence in Dharwad. He was shot dead by unidentified persons.
2. Renowned neurologist and author Oliver Wolf Sacks died on 30 August 2015 in New York, the USA. He was 82.