1. India foiled a British Company’s bid to patent use of turmeric, pine bark and tea for treating hair loss and succeeded in protecting its traditional knowledge.
2. Registrar General & Census Commissioner of India released the Census 2011 data on Highest Education Level Attained.
The data relates to population of 7 years and above by age and sex for total, Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs) up to district levels.
3. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis announced construction of 800 kilometers of Nagpur-Mumbai expressway.
The Nagpur-Amravati-Aurangabad-Ghoti-Mumbai expressway, also called Communication Super-expressway, would be build at the cost of 30000 crore rupees.
4. The Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways formulated a Draft Notification for Mass Emission Standards for Bio-diesel (B100) fueled vehicles also called flex-fuel bio-diesel vehicle.
The Draft rules further seek to amend the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 and these Rules may be called Central Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Rules, 2015.
5. India will host second edition meeting of Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC) on 21st August 2015 in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
The meeting will be attended by the heads of 14 island nations from Indo-Pacific oceanic region.
It is seen as India’s first step towards greater engagement with the region, which is important from geostrategic and economic standpoint.
6. Spices Board of India has launched subsidy scheme in a bit to promote spice cultivation in India by offering subsidies and sensitize to farmers.
1. Sri Lanka government announced its decision to repair and renovate one Hindu and one Buddhist temple in Nepal that was destroyed in the recent earthquake.
2. Pakistan was formally conferred Associate Membership status by European Organization for Nuclear Research (also known as CERN).
The membership was granted after Pakistan formally completed the required internal ratification process.
3. India and Bangladesh physically transferred 162 enclaves/chitmahals located on Indo-Bangladesh.
Under the historic exchange, 51 Bangladeshi enclaves merged with India, while 111 Indian enclaves from West Bengal, Assam, Tripura, Meghalaya and Mizoram merged with Bangladesh.
1. Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) lifted the 5-year ban on Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan on entering the Wankhede Stadium. The decision on removal of ban imposed on Khan was taken during the Association’s meet in Mumbai.
2. Indian women’s recurve team of Deepika Kumari, Laxmirani Majhi and Rimil Buriuly won a silver medal at the World Archery Championships in Copenhagen, Denmark.
3. Indian champion Joshna Chinappa won the women’s squash title in the 15000 US Dollar Victorian Open WSA Event in Melbourne, Australia on 2 August 2015.
4. Fourteen year old Master Prabhroop Sekhon won two gold medals in 300 metre and 500 metre Roller Skating at the Special Olympics World Summer Games. The event is being held at Los Angeles, USA.
5. India’s Ranveer Singh Saini has won a Gold medal at the Special Olympics World Games held in Los Angeles. The 14 year old golfer suffering from autistic achieved this feat in GF Golf-Level 2 Alternate Shot Team Play.
Awards & Recognition:
1. An Indian diplomat with the Indian consulate in Dubai Tiju Thomas was in news in first week of August 2015.
He came in news after spearheading an initiative to make blood from rare groups accessible to those in need through a website blooddonors.ae.
2. The state government of Tamil Nadu instituted a youth award in the name of former President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
3. Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has recommended name of Indian Tennis legend Sania Mirza for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award 2015.
4. Union Government has conferred Arjuna Award on Indian cricket team off-spinner bowler Ravichandran Ashwin.
With this Ashwin became 48th cricketer to receive the prestigious award.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. French global financial services group Banque Nationale de Paris (BNP) Paribas to acquire retail brokerage firm Sharekhan at about 2,000 crore rupees.
2. Major tour operator Thomas Cook (India) Ltd has acquired Sri Lanka based destination management company Luxe Asia Pvt. Ltd.
1. 162 enclaves of India and Bangladesh were integrated with the main land with the execution of Land Border Agreement, 1974 between the two countries.
According to the agreement, 51 Bangladeshi enclaves situated at Indian soil in Coochbehar District of West Bengal amalgamated with India, while 111 Indian enclaves in Bangladeshi territory integrated with that country when the clock struck 12 at night.
Science & Technology:
1. India’s first Integrated Underwater Harbour Defence and Surveillance System (IUHDSS) was commissioned in Kochi, Kerala.
First of its kind system in the country is part of initiatives to strengthen and beef up coastal security in the western coastline.
2. Wildlife researchers have discovered new frog species in Netravali forest sanctuary of Goa.
The discovered species has been christened as ‘Indirana Salelkari’ after Netravali Range Forest Officer Prakash Salelkar for his contribution to conservation of wildlife.
1. United States country singer Lynn Anderson passed away after she suffered a heart attack in Nashville, US. She was 67.