Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Government launched Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) with an objective to provide free of cost LPG (cooking gas) connections to women from BPL Households.
It was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi from Maldepur Morh, Ballia in Uttar Pradesh.
The tagline for the scheme is Swachh Indhan, Behtar Jeevan.
2. Andhra Pradesh Government has launched Chandranna Bima Yojana, an insurance scheme for the working class people.
The scheme was launched by Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu on the occasion of May Day in Vijayawada.
Main points of the scheme are:
Any insured worker who meets an accidental death and permanent disability will be paid 5 lakh rupees.
Any insured worker who suffers partial disability will be paid 3 lakh rupees.
This scheme will cover about 1.5 crore workers of the state.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The ADMM-Plus (ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting Plus) Exercise on Maritime Security and Counter Terrorism (Ex MS & CT) has started at Brunei on May 1, 2016.
The nine day exercise that will continue till May 9, 2016, seeks to strengthen the strong bilateral ties and extensive maritime interactions between India and ASEAN countries.
It is a multinational naval exercise conducted under the aegis of ADMM Plus consortium.
The aim is to enhance mutual understanding with respect to maritime security issues and streamlining drills on counter-terrorism operations at sea.
1. German Formula One Driver Nico Rosberg from Mercedes team has won 2016 Russian Grand Prix held at the Sochi Autodrom in Sochi, Russia.
It was Rosberg’s fourth consecutive win in the 2016 season and overall eighteenth championship title of F1 in his career.
Russian Grand Prix was the fourth race of the 2016 season of Formula One in which total 11 teams had participated and was contested over fifty-three laps.
Awards & Recognition:
1. An Indian-American journalist Neela Banerjee was felicitated with a prestigious Edgar A Poe award along with of her colleagues from Inside Climate News.
The award was given by US President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle during the annual White House Correspondents Dinner held in Washington DC.
It was shared by Neela Banerjee and three of her colleagues from Inside Climate News John Cushman Jr, David Hasemyer and Lisa Song and Terrence McCoy of the Washington Post.
2. Three Indian Scientist have been elected as the as Fellows of The Royal Society, a premier scientific academy of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth.
Their names had appeared on the list of 50 new fellows and 10 new Foreign Members announced by the Royal Society.
They are: Physicist Sriram Ramaswamy, Biochemist Ramanujan Hegde, Applied mathematician Lakshminarayanan Mahadevan.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. An Indian American Sikh woman Harmeet Kaur Dhillon from California was elected to an important position in the Republican Party at the United States national level.
She was elected as the newest national committee woman, a key position of the Republican National Committee.
She also served as vice chairman of the California GOP.
She was the first woman elected to this position of vice chair of the California Republican Party.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. Parliament has passed Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2016.
The Bill amends the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act, 1957.
The amendment Bill was first passed in the Lok Sabha in March 2016 and later in the Rajya Sabha in May 2016.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Philips plans to sell at least 25 percent of its lighting business on stock market.
It is the world’s largest maker of lights.
The move has taken to focus on its larger medical equipment operations.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Union Ministry of Railways and Forest Department of Haryana & Punjab have inked Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for plantation of trees alongside Railway Track on Railway Land Boundary.
The MoU paves way for planting around 5 lakh trees alongside Railway Track on Railway Land Boundary prior to Monsoon Season.
This agreement paves way improvements with regard to afforestation on railway land.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. ICICI Bank is auctioning a prime property of tyre manufacturer Dunlop India spread over an acre on the upscale Annie Besant Road in Mumbai to recover loans to Ruia Group companies.
The bank took over the property’s possession after Bhartiya Hotels, Shalini Properties & Developers and SPR Resorts defaulted on Rs 575-crore loan given in 2008. The loan was taken by mortgaging the property owned by Dunlop India, another company of the Kolkata-based Ruia Group.
It initiated the auction process in the first week of April and the reserve price is Rs 240 crore.
Science & Technology:
1. INS Kalvari, Indian Navy’s first indigenous Scorpene-class stealth submarine, has recently launched for the first sea trial in the Mumbai naval dockyard.
It is a diesel-electric attack submarine which is built under the strategic Project 75 by Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) in collaboration with French naval defence and Energy Company DCNS.
INS Kalvari is also known as Tiger Shark (or S50).
It is expected to be commissioned into Indian Navy by September 2016.
1. Every year 3rd May is celebrated as World Press Freedom Day.
World Press Freedom Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in December 1993, following the recommendation of UNESCO’s General Conference.
Since then, 3 May, the anniversary of the Declaration of Windhoek is celebrated worldwide as World Press Freedom Day.
2016 Theme for the celebration is Access to Information and Fundamental Freedoms – This Is Your Right!